Need a super easy four-ingredient dish for dinner that everyone will love? Baked Tortellini (with sneaky spinach to up the nutrition) is it!
Baked Cheesy Spinach Tortellini is a vegetarian spin-off of my Baked Beef Ravioli. It’s meatless but cheesy and oh-so-filling. Plus, it’s also a great way to use up leftover fresh spinach and sneak in more nutrition into some comfort food. Using only four ingredients, you’ve got a family-pleaser for sure.Print
This easy and oh-so-cheesy baked pasta is a great way to use up leftover veggies, likefresh spinach. Even your meat-lover will dig this one!
- 1 (24 ounce) jar marinara sauce (or 3 cups Homemade Marinara Sauce)
- 1 package (19 oz.) frozen cheese tortellini (look for the one with the least ingredients)
- 2 cups loosely packed baby spinach, finely chopped
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
Make It Now:
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray an 8×8 inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Spread thin layer of marinara sauce into bottom of baking dish. Arrange half of the frozen tortellini over the sauce, trying to get them in a single layer as much as possible. Top with 1/2 of the chopped spinach, 1/2 of the sauce (use the back of a spoon to move the sauce around and make sure it covers all the tortellini), and 1 cup of mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers again, ending with the last of the cheese on top. (Freezing instructions begin here.)
- Tent lightly with a layer of foil; try to avoid touching the cheese. (Tip: Spray with cooking spray on the inside of the foil to help prevent the cheese from sticking.) Bake for about 40-45 minutes until bubbly on the edges. Take off the foil and bake about 15 minutes more, or until golden on top and hot throughout.
- Let rest for 10-15 minutes before serving. Top each serving with grated Parmesan, if desired.
Freeze For Later: Spray an 8×8 inch casserole dish with cooking spray. Follow Step 2. Cover the dish with foil and a few layers of plastic wrap or foil. Label and freeze.
Prepare From Frozen: Thaw in the refrigerator. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Follow Step 3. (Note: If you want to cook the casserole from frozen, cover with foil and place it in a cold oven and then preheat to 375°F. Bake for about 1 hour, remove the foil, and bake another 15-30 minutes or until hot throughout and bubbly around the edges.)
- You can also make this with frozen cheese or beef ravioli, but you’ll have to make it in three layers instead of two so that each ravioli layer is flat and they aren’t overlapping. Then, bake covered for 45 minutes and uncovered for 15 minutes.
Check out our list of 70+ Healthy Freezer Meals here.