Oven Fries are one of our favorite side dishes. The secret ingredient in this oven fry recipe is a bit of sugar! It really makes a difference in taste. I serve these alongside things like Mini Chicken Burgers with Herbs, Super Sloppy Joes, and Mini Freezable Crab Cakes.Print
Try your hand at these yummy, healthy oven fries. With just a bit of sugar added, you’ll amaze your friends and family with how good these taste.
- 4 medium russet potatoes
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- ground pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons sugar (this addition makes a big taste difference!)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Wash and cut potatoes into french fry shapes (do not peel them).
- Soak in a bowl of water for about 30 minutes or until you’re ready to bake them. This helps remove some of the starch.
- Pat them very dry. (This is an important step! I use a kitchen towel for the job.)
- Toss the fries with enough olive oil to coat, sea salt, a few cranks of fresh ground pepper, garlic powder, and sugar.
- Spread out flat on two cookie sheets that are lined with parchment paper (to help with clean up). Make sure none of the fries touch, so they can get nice and crispy all around.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, until golden brown and crisp. Keep an eye on them, so they don’t burn. Flip fries over about halfway through. Also, rotate position of the pans halfway through, moving the one on top rack to the bottom rack and vice versa.
- Sprinkle a little more salt, if needed. Serve while hot.