Try your hand at these yummy, healthy oven steak fries. With just a bit of sugar added, you’ll amaze your friends and family with how good these taste.
- 4 medium russet potatoes, scrubbed clean (no need to peel them)
- 1–2 tablespoons avocado oil (sub: olive oil)
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons sugar (this addition makes a big taste difference!)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Line two sheet pans with parchment paper.
- Cut potatoes in half lengthwise and then slice into steak fry wedges, about 1/4-1/2 inch wide each. (Just make sure they are all about the same size to ensure even cooking.)
- Soak the fries in a large bowl of water for about 30 minutes or until you’re ready to bake them. (This helps remove some of the starch and makes them crispier in the end.)
- Drain the potatoes in a colander and then pat them very dry with a dish towel. (This is a VERY important step! They must be really dry.)
- Rinse and dry out the large bowl and return the potatoes to it. Toss with enough oil to coat them, sea salt, a few cranks of fresh ground pepper, garlic powder, and sugar.
- Spread out the potatoes in a single layer on the two sheet pans. Make sure none of the fries touch, so they can get nice and crispy all around.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Then, flip the fries over with a spatula, and rotate the pans by moving the one on the top rack to the bottom and vice versa. We also recommend rotating the pans themselves 180 degrees, so the front is now in the back of the oven and vice versa. (Rotating the pans like this helps with even baking.) Bake another 10-20 minutes, until golden brown and crispy. Keep an eye on them, so they don’t burn.
- Sprinkle a little more salt and pepper, as desired. Serve while hot with ketchup or our Avocado Aioli.