Homemade Ham and Cheese Crescent Rolls {Freezer Meal}

This delicious combination of soft, buttery dough with deli ham and cheese makes this an irresistible meal. You'll have a hard time putting any away in the freezer.

Little hands can’t get enough of these ham and cheese crescent rolls. Don’t believe me? Here’s what happened when I was trying to get a picture of these bad boys.

Who can blame her? Between the sweet, soft, buttery dough, the warm ham, and the melted cheese, these rolls are irresistible. I like to make a big batch but they don’t stay in my freezer long. If I don’t use them up for a quick lunch or even a meal for the babysitter to give to the kids, my husband will snag a few for his lunch. I wish I could double batch these but since I make the dough in the bread machine, it’s not really possible.

Want to make your own homemade ham and cheese crescent rolls?

Make sure to pin this recipe so you have it on hand for the future!

Ham and Cheese Crescent Rolls {Freezer Meal}

• 4 cups flour
  • ½ cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2.5 teaspoons yeast
  • Filling for the Crescent Rolls:
  • About 1 lb of deli ham
  • About 16 oz. mozzarella cheese (or a large bag of shredded)
  • 5 tablespoons of melted butter
Instructions
  1. Put dough ingredients into bread machine as directed.
  2. After dough cycle is complete, separate the dough into two mounds and flour your surface and rolling pin well.
  3. Roll one mound of dough out until it is flattened to about ½ inch thick. It should be about the size of a large pizza.
  4. Brush dough with melted butter.
  5. Using a pizza cutter, make pie shaped pieces by cutting straight lines through the dough. (Again, like you would cut a pizza.)
  6. Add ham and cheese to each slice. I usually use about 2 pieces of ham and one piece of cheese per slice.
  7. Starting at the large end, roll up the dough.
  8. Place on greased baking sheet with the end side underneath the roll. Repeat these steps for your second mound of dough.
  9. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Make sure bread is golden brown.
  10. Brush rolls with melted butter and let cool a bit before serving.
Notes
Freezer Meal Instructions:
To Freeze:
Bake as directed. Let cool and then place rolls into airtight bag or container for up to 3 months.
To Prepare:
When ready to eat, warm them up either in the microwave or oven. Devour!

Comments

1. I am trying this tonight when I get home! Thanks!

2. kristie says

First of all, I am really enjoying your blog! With three kids under 4, including a 6-week old, the freezer meals have been super-helpful! Just wondering if you have you experimented with using whole wheat flour and/or other grains to add some nutrition to the dough?

3. Abigail Ero says

How many servings does this make

Probably 20-25 rolls depending on how big or small you cut them.

4. Kari says

Is there a way to make these without a bread machine, as I don’t have one.

I’m sure there is but I have never tackled it. A google search would probably give you a recipe. Good luck!

5. Hickory Nut says

I am also wondering if you have replaced any white flour for wheat in this one. I’m new to the whole wheat flour world, and i know it usually can’t just be replaced, without tweaking something else. Any advice in using wheat so it still can roll nicely?

I actually did test this recently. I subbed one cup of wheat flour for one cup of white. To be honest, nobody in my family liked the change. I was surprised because usually I don’t notice when I sub out white flour for wheat but I guess when it comes to a crescent roll, it does change the taste a bit.

6. Blair says

I am a few weeks ago from having my second child and am enjoying stocking up on your freezer meals before hand. Thanks for the great list! For this recipe, how long do you reheat them in the microwave / oven after they’re frozen? Do yo defrost in fridge overnight first? Thanks for any tips!

I usually let them defrost before I warm them up for 30-45 seconds.
      I’ve found that my kids even eat them cold. I sometimes put a frozen one in my 3 year old’s lunch box for preschool and I think it’s the perfect temperature by lunch time.

7. It is really interesting and I think my daughter will love it. It looks so delicious and amazing. I love it. I have added in my daughter’s menu, thanks

It’s my go-to lunch box item!

8. Cindy says

This recipe has been added to our weekly lunch rotation. I added a Tbsp of ground flax to give it a bit of a nutrition boost today. Next week I’ll try adding a bit more and see if they still turn out. I wonder if you’re supposed to let them rise before baking? I didn’t last week (and they were amazing!). Today I am trying it. (Just because it would be nice to have the rolls slightly bigger since we can’t see to get enough!) 🙂

Good idea on the flax seed. I tried them with a cup of wheat once and didn’t like them as much. These are seriously a go-to item for my kids lunch boxes. Glad you like them as well.

9. seriously Polly, if we can use flax seeds with wheat , it will be a wholesome food, great item for my daughter’s lunch box.

10. Hey, such a great recipe! Thank you very much for sharing! Bread with ham and cheeese is not strange to me at all, but this new way to make it is extremely creative and wonderful. And it is not so hard to cook it, too. I bet its taste is yummy. Thanks again!