Updated and republished from January 2012
This Mexican soup recipe never fails to please a crowd. It is one of my favorite recipes for a lot of reasons:
1) It tastes awesome!
2) It is primarily made with veggies and beans.
3) It freezes really well, and you know how much we love freezer meal cooking. In fact, I included Freezer Meal directions below.
4) It’s perfect for a large crowd, feeding up to 12 adults. Having easy and delicious go-to main dishes like this make showing hospitality to large groups so much easier!
5) It is super easy and relatively cheap to make.
6) Kids love it! (If you’re easy on the spices.)
Do I have you convinced yet? If not, you can ask the people who just left my house requesting the recipe.
Hope you like it as much as we do! Here are a few other Mexican recipes from our Recipe Index if you’re interested:Print
Super easy Mexican soup recipe. Packed with flavor, very filling and makes a TON. Great recipe for large groups. Freezer friendly as well!
- 2 lbs of lean ground beef (or sub ground chicken)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt (or sub garlic powder)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 package dry ranch dressing mix or make your own ranch dip
- 2–3 tablespoons of taco seasoning
- 2 15 oz cans Rotel (or two 15 oz cans of petite diced tomatoes and two 4 oz cans of chopped green chilies
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 15 oz cans shoe peg white corn
- 1 15 oz can black beans
- 1 15 oz can pinto beans
- 1 15 oz can ranch beans (or sub 1 can pinto beans)
- 2 cups of water
- Brown meat and onion on medium/high heat until beef is cooked thoroughly. Add garlic salt and cumin while browning the meat.
- Add all ingredients, including meat mixture into a large pot. (Don’t even drain the beans.) Just dump it all in!
- Simmer for 2 hours.
- Optional: serve with shredded cheese and tortilla chips
Slow Cooker Instructions:
Brown the meat with onions according to directions. Add the meat mixture plus all other ingredients to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Serve with your favorite toppings.
Freezer Meal Directions:
Fully cook the soup, let it cool completely, and freeze in a BPA-free gallon freezer bag or other air-tight freezable container for up to 3 months.
Either thaw in the fridge overnight and warm up or warm on the stove top over low heat. You can also put it in the crock pot from frozen, stirring periodically.
Since this recipe uses a lot of canned food items, be sure to look for brands that are BPA-free.