These are the BEST EVER soft batch, whole wheat cookies. They include all real food ingredients but retain the flavor and texture of the classic version.
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour (this wheat variety is very important!)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled until just warm
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, plus 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat to 325 degrees F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the butter and sugars until thoroughly blended. Beat in the eggs and vanilla until combined.
- Add dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop a heaping tablespoon per cookie and roll in a ball. Place dough balls on lined sheet pan, spacing them out so they won’t touch when baked.
- Bake until the cookies are light golden brown, the outer edges start to harden, and the middle is still soft and puffy, about 15 minutes or so. Note: If baking two sheet pans of cookies at a time, be sure to rotate top and bottom and turn them front to back halfway through the cooking time.
- Let cookies cool slightly on the pan and then transfer to a cooling rack using a metal spatula.