• Homemade Popcorn Recipe

by Rachel on December 28, 2011

homemade popcorn recipe

A few years ago my sister turned me on to making my own popcorn on the stove vs. the microwave.  It’s unbelievably cheaper for one thing.  For another, it’s safe and healthy, unlike microwave popcorn which is linked to cancer-causing substances.  Most importantly to me, it tastes just like or even better than movie theater popcorn!

There are a few secrets to perfect popcorn I’ve learned.

Want to know what ingredient gives popcorn that movie theater taste??

homemade popcorn recipe

Use coconut oil!  This is crucial and what gives it the movie theater taste.  An added bonus is that coconut oil is incredibly good for you and the safest oil to cook with.  I usually buy something like Nutiva Certified Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil — 54 fl oz in bulk or you can get a smaller amount like NUTIVA Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil 15 oz.

use coconut oil to make popcorn

Another tip to making awesome homemade popcorn is to buy a nicer grade of popcorn.  I’ve tried the cheap stuff and the more expensive varieties.  I can definitely tell a difference.  I’ve even found a local, organic, non-GMO variety at my local health food store.

Lastly, use a large heavy-bottomed pot to make your popcorn, if possible.

Here’s my pseudo-recipe…

Best Ever Homemade Popcorn

1) Heat about 3 tablespoons or a heaping spoonful of coconut oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat.  Make sure the oil coats the bottom of the pan.

2) Add a few kernels of corn and put the lid on.

3) When they pop, add enough kernels to mostly cover the bottom of the pot.

4) Using oven mitts, use one hand to continuously shake the pot by the side handle.  Use the other hand to crack the lid (the pic doesn’t show this because I was taking the picture at this point!), allowing the steam to release.  Releasing the steam is important so that the popcorn doesn’t get soggy.

5) When the popping slows down quite a bit, pull the pot off the heat.  Dump it into a bowl immediately, so the bottom pieces don’t burn in the pot.

homemade popcorn with coconut oil

6) Season with sea salt to taste.  That’s it.  Nothing else is needed for the perfect bowl of popcorn!

I’ve found that the popcorn stores for about two days in a ziplock.  It’s a great nutritious snack for the whole family.

Here are some more healthy snack ideas from our recipe index. Enjoy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...Pin It

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

sam February 17, 2012 at 2:09 am

I totally agree that coconut oil makes the BEST popcorn imaginable! Tried it a couple of months ago and will never use anything else ever again! Love the blog, girls! So much fun!

Gretchen June 17, 2012 at 12:35 am

OOohhhh Rachel!!! This is yummy! I have been wanting to do this for a long time and finally made it tonight! We are babysitting the Matz boys and are ending our night together with a movie! You can’t watch a movie without popcorn!!

Rachel June 17, 2012 at 12:53 am

Thanks for the feedback, G. Glad you like it as much as we do. We must make this every other day at least.

Julia Janzen August 3, 2012 at 7:31 pm

This is similar to the popcorn I make but with two differences. I use coconut oil but I also add real butter to the pot and the salt! Then when I pour the kernels into the pot of melted butter and coconut oil I swirl the popcorn around so all the kernels. If you want a chipolte popcorn, salt & pepper etc. just add it to the oil & butter first then add kernels. We also buy bulk organic popcorn at our local Raleys so you can find it at the bigger markets too. Popcorn=my favorite food! :D

Rachel August 4, 2012 at 3:14 am

Julia, great ideas for more variation on this recipe. How can you go wrong with butter?

Shelly January 29, 2014 at 8:02 pm

It is soooo funny reading blog posts from you younger people about stuff you “discover”!!! Those of us a year or two (lol) older learned these simple things growing up! You kids are so funny!!! lol

Rachel January 29, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Yep, we’re the fast food generation…slowly working our way back to real food. ;)

Kary March 16, 2014 at 10:35 am

My kids just voted this the best popcorn ever! I thought they might taste the coconut oil but they didn’t at all! This will be our new way to make popcorn. It was super yummy and also a great little experiment for the kids to watch.

Rachel March 16, 2014 at 11:19 am

That’s awesome! Glad they liked it, Kary! I make a huge batch every week and it gets better within a day or two, I think. I regularly send it to school for snack.