A few years ago my sister turned me on to making my own popcorn on the stove vs. the microwave. It’s unbelievably cheaper for one thing. For another, it’s safe and healthy, unlike microwave popcorn which is linked to cancer-causing substances. Most importantly to me, it tastes just like or even better than movie theater popcorn!
There are a few secrets to perfect popcorn I’ve learned.
Want to know what ingredient gives popcorn that movie theater taste??
Use coconut oil! This is crucial and what gives it the movie theater taste. An added bonus is that coconut oil is incredibly good for you and the safest oil to cook with. I usually buy something like Nutiva Certified Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil — 54 fl oz in bulk or you can get a smaller amount like NUTIVA Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil 15 oz.
Another tip to making awesome homemade popcorn is to buy a nicer grade of popcorn. I’ve tried the cheap stuff and the more expensive varieties. I can definitely tell a difference. I’ve even found a local, organic, non-GMO variety at my local health food store.
Lastly, use a large heavy-bottomed pot to make your popcorn, if possible.
Here’s my pseudo-recipe…
Best Ever Homemade Popcorn
1) Heat about 3 tablespoons or a heaping spoonful of coconut oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Make sure the oil coats the bottom of the pan.
2) Add a few kernels of corn and put the lid on.
3) When they pop, add enough kernels to mostly cover the bottom of the pot.
4) Using oven mitts, use one hand to continuously shake the pot by the side handle. Use the other hand to crack the lid (the pic doesn’t show this because I was taking the picture at this point!), allowing the steam to release. Releasing the steam is important so that the popcorn doesn’t get soggy.
5) When the popping slows down quite a bit, pull the pot off the heat. Dump it into a bowl immediately, so the bottom pieces don’t burn in the pot.
6) Season with sea salt to taste. That’s it. Nothing else is needed for the perfect bowl of popcorn!
I’ve found that the popcorn stores for about two days in a ziplock. It’s a great nutritious snack for the whole family.
Here are some more healthy snack ideas from our recipe index. Enjoy!