How to Freeze Green Onions/Scallions

So, this is one of those posts that many of you will chuckle at and think, “You didn’t know that?”

I am here to tell you that no, I did not know that you could freeze and save green onions for later use. So for those of you out there like me, this post is for you.

This year, my backyard garden has given us a CRAZY amount of green onions. They are bigger than I’ve ever seen in a grocery store and I simply didn’t know what to do with them all. I mean, look at these crazy things!

green onionsI was about to throw them in the compost when I ran the question past my dad, the gardener extraordinaire, of what I should do with so many leftover scallions (green onions and scallions are the same thing, FYI). He informed me that you could chop them up and freeze them for later use. Duh.

So that’s what I did today. I yanked out a TON of onions, washed them off, chopped them up, and froze them!

Want to save some leftover onions in the future? Read on, my thrifty friends!

How to Freeze and Store Green Onions

First step is to wash your veggies. Use a combination of white vinegar and water to soak or rinse your produce. One study says use 3 parts water to 1 part vinegar. Another said use 10 parts water to 1 part vinegar. I usually use somewhere between those two recommendations.
Mine were out of the garden so I didn’t have to worry about pesticides but I did have to spray some dirt off and make sure I didn’t freeze any bugs along with my onions. scallions from garden

Next, chop up your onions.  I first chopped off the roots and then cut the bulb off as well and froze those in a separate bag. After removing any dead growth, I choppy-chopped away!

chopped green onions

Lastly, spread out chopped onions on cookie sheet. I laid some parchment paper down (to make for easier removal later) and spread them out as best as I could. I then stuck both sheets of onions in the freezer. I do this so they aren’t all clumped up and frozen together.

freezing onions

After they had been in there for a few hours, I moved them all to a ziplock bag. (I’ve read that saving them in an empty water bottle is handy too!)

Since freezing onions will cause them to lose their crisp texture, I plan to only use these in future cooking (not on salads or anything where you’d want a crisp onion). So these would be good for soups, marinades, omelettes, fried rice, etc.

I’m excited that I don’t have to throw away my garden onions any more!

Pin It

Like this post? Join thousands of other subscribers and get our weekly newsletter.

Comments

1. Lindsey says

Thanks, this was just the information I needed to save my huge patch of green onions!

2. Michelle says

THANK YOU! I wasn’t sure how to do it. Actually, I’m only saving the green tops, as I have a small kitchen scrap garden, and the green onions are re-growing hog wild. So I’ll harvest the tops from them and let them keep on growing.

Glad this was helpful to you and that you can save your green tops, at least!

3. Anna says

Great info. Do you know long scallions will keep frozen? 2 months, 6months? Thanks!

I’m pretty sure they should be good up to 10-12 months. Maybe do a little more research but that’s what I read.

• Dennis says

I have kept them from one season to the next & they seemed just fine to me.

4. Sarah says

Thanks! I linked this page on my blog. I didn’t know you could freeze scallions either but I use them all the time.

5. Linda says

Thanks a million for this post. I got here through google. I way overshot on green onions for our mac and cheese bar so I am pleased to find out I can reuse them in a quiche or soup. Thanks again!

6. Saundra McIntyre says

Thanks for the info. now I can freeze my scallions.
    Thank you.
    Saundra

You’re welcome, Saundra. Glad it was helpful!

7. Lucas says

You know you could have just trimmed them instead of yanking them. They would still be alive producing more leaves for you.

8. Lee says

You can do this with chives, parsley and cilantro too. I put 1/4 cup portions in zip lock bags and then roll them up tight and store them in a tall mason jar in the freezer.

Great idea! I don’t know why I haven’t done this before.

9. Julie Craig says

Awesome and very helpful because I have so many green onions in my garden this year . Thank you! !

10. DELLA HURLEY says

I have a lot of green onions and figured I’d try to google and see if I can freeze them as do not want to waste them as I love onions.

yes, thanks to your father and you writing your blog I will be chopping away.

thanks so much

Great! I hate when good food goes to waste. Glad this could help!

11. Brigitte says

Thank you!! So well explained and so helpful. I look forward to using them for soups and fried rice in the winter.