Here it is. Many, many friends have asked me for my husband’s secret smoothie recipe over the years. And today is the day
we’ve all a few of us have been waiting for…
“Hey Nathan, can you get up and make your smoothie?”
My husband peered at me through one open eye. “It’s Saturday morning, Rach.”
“Yeah, but you’re a dad, remember? Everybody knows you can’t sleep past 8.”
“Uhhhh,” he moaned, as he threw a pillow over his head.
“Nevermind. I’ll go try to make your smoothie. I want to get some pics before the lighting changes outside.”
20 minutes later…
Muted mockery covered his face and a quiet chuckle escaped as my bed-headed husband took one look at my attempt at his Everyday Smoothie.
“What are you laughing at?!” I demanded.
“What about me?”
“You and your puke, purple-beige smoothie attempt.”
(I don’t know…what do you guys think? My smoothie on your left or his on your right?)
(Yeah, that’s what I thought. Look, between you and me, I never get it right. His is tastier. Much tastier. And a far cry from my “puke, purple-beige” version.)
So, it’s with a very humbled heart, that I publicly dub my husband the official Smoothie Master of Our Household. And I invite you to enjoy his version of The Best Everyday Smoothie we know.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup orange juice
- ½ cup Greek yogurt (plain or vanilla)
- 4 cups spinach, loosely packed
- 1 banana (a frozen banana makes it even creamier)
- 2 cups frozen blueberries (or frozen berry blend)
- 2 cups frozen tropical fruit (we use a mix of mango, pineapple and strawberries)
- Add milk, juice, yogurt, spinach and banana to a high-powered blender. Blend until smooth. Add frozen fruit. Blend again until smooth. Enjoy!
- Freeze smoothie in freezable mason jar, leaving at least an inch at the top. To thaw, place in the refrigerator overnight. Stir with a spoon or throw in the blender again with a few ice cubes.