Sometimes it’s 5 p.m., and you have few groceries in the fridge and no plan for dinner.
That was me one night last week. Thankfully, I had eggs, cheese, milk, and some fresh spinach to work with. And this super easy, cheap 10 Minute Spinach Cheddar Frittata was born. All the equipment you need is a large oven-safe pan (I used a 12-inch) and a bowl to stir the egg mixture.
What is a frittata and how is it different than an omelet, you ask? A frittata is started over the stove for a few minutes and then this one is finished under the broiler in the oven for a few minutes. It requires no stirring or flipping, which can be a mess when making an omelet.
In other words, it’s hard to screw up this recipe. Now that’s my kind of weeknight meal! Add in some fruit and whole grain toast, and you’ve got a well-rounded dinner or breakfast.Print
- 8 extra large eggs (or 10 large eggs)
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1–2 cups loosely packed baby spinach, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the broiler to high.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Stir in the spinach and cheese.
- Heat an oven-safe 12-inch pan over medium-low heat and spray with cooking spray. Once pan is hot, pour egg mixture in and stir gently with a spatula to spread out spinach and cheese. Leave it alone to cook for about 4 minutes, until the bottom is set and the top is just beginning to set.
- Transfer pan to the top rack of the oven. Broil for 2-4 minutes or just until set on top. Keep a close eye on it, so it doesn’t burn.
- Let cool for a few minutes. Slice and serve.