I’ll give you 3 reasons why you need to make this dip soon:
1 – It’s an easy, no-cook and healthy meal. I left this in the fridge, and we ate on it for lunch, snacks, and dinner throughout the week. Not only can you dip tortilla chips but carrot sticks, as well. Seriously one of my favorite meals.
2 – Perfect for a Thanksgiving or holiday party appetizer. You can throw this app together in about 15 minutes and there’s no cooking required. Plus, who doesn’t love this dip? It’s sure to be a party favorite.
3 – This version of the 7 Layer Taco Dip is actually healthy! Let’s take a glance at what’s in my version:
Beans = fiber, protein, low in fat and calories (Make sure you either make your own refried beans or buy organic to avoid strange ingredients. I’ve found that the Vegetarian Refried Beans in my store had the least amount of ingredients and were the lowest in fat, as well.)
Avocados = good fat, vitamins, minerals
Yogurt = probiotics, calcium, protein (By the way, yogurt is a near perfect substitution for sour cream! It adds some awesome probiotics.)
A little cheese = calcium, protein
Veggies of your choice (lettuce, tomatoes, olives) = fiber, vitamins, minerals
Now, you’re not sure your kids will eat 7 Layer Taco Dip, are you? And for moms like me, that’s always a factor when taking time to prepare food. Well, I’m here to say that at least one of my kiddos did eat this when I improvised a bit. I scooped out some of the beans, guac, and cheese part (minus the veggies on top), rolled it up in a tortilla, and warmed it up. She loved it when it looked “normal.” The other little people had to make due with leftovers or sandwiches that night.
Ready to get your 7 Layer Taco Dip on? Here’s my simple, healthy recipe fit for a fiesta or a quick low-key meal.Print
A simple, healthy appetizer fit for a fiesta or a quick low-key meatless meal.
- 1 can refried beans (look for organic or make your own)
- 2–3 avocados, smashed
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups plain organic Greek yogurt or whole milk yogurt
- 1–2 tablespoons taco seasoning (according to your taste)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup loosely packed shredded romaine or green leaf lettuce
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, chopped
- a few sliced olives, optional for garnish
- Spread refried beans in large glass bowl or pan.
- In a small bowl, smash avocado. Stir in lemon/lime juice, garlic, salt, and pepper. Spread avocado mixture over dip.
- Combine taco seasoning with yogurt. Spread over avocado layer.
- Sprinkle a layer of cheddar cheese on top.
- Top with shredded lettuce, then chopped tomatoes, and then chopped olives (optional).
- Serve with tortilla chips.