This easy super healthy Baked Chocolate Steel Cut Oatmeal includes whole grains, vegetables, fruit, protein and calcium. It’s a delicious, wholesome way to start your day!
- 2 1/2 cup steel cut oats
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup ground almonds (aka almond meal)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups milk (I used plain almond milk)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 banana
- 1 apple, cut into chunks
- 1 cup spinach
- Optional for serving: fresh berries, milk, banana slices, almond slices
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl, stirring well.
- Place all wet ingredients in a high-powered blender. Blend until completely smooth and spinach isn’t visible.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and combine well. Pour mixture into a greased 9×13 pan.
- Cover and sit in refrigerator overnight. (This step is important, as it softens the oats.)
- Set baked oatmeal on counter while oven preheats to take the chill off. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until it doesn’t move when you shake it. (Note: It will still be creamy inside but the top will be completely set.)
- Serve warm with milk and fresh fruit on top. Add more sweetener if desired.
Freezer Meal Instructions:
Prepare through Step 3. Wrap tightly in foil and plastic wrap and freeze.
Thaw in the refrigerator for 24-48 hours. Bake as directed, adding extra time if needed, until center is set.