I’m always on the lookout for easy breakfast ideas that are tasty, family-friendly, use up leftovers, and potentially freeze and reheat well. These Breakfast Casserole Muffins fit the bill for sure on the first three accounts. As for the freezing, I’m currently conducting an experiment. I have two in the freezer and will try reheating them in the microwave and/or stove tomorrow morning (and update this post). Hat tip to my friend, Kelly G, who works hard at creating a healthy refuge of her own, for the inspiration for this recipe!
Freezer Experiment Update (1/27/10): I took them straight from the freezer and microwaved them for about a minute total (turning them once). They turned out fine! Of course, I would say they are best when straight from the oven, but the texture and taste wasn’t much different at all. I’m going to start making these frequently to freeze in large quantities.
One of the best parts about these savory muffins is that it’s super easy to include your kids in the preparation. Jack loved helping me tear up leftover bread pieces (which I store in a ziplock in the freezer) and placing them in each greased muffin tin. He also helped sprinkle cheese, tear up and scatter ham pieces, and stir the egg mixture.
Note: The measurements in my recipe are approximate. Honestly, I didn’t measure anything but just eyeballed it all. It’s hard to mess these up, so use your judgment as you go.
Easy Breakfast Casserole Muffins
Makes: 12 muffins
about 2 pieces whole wheat bread (about 1 1/2 – 2 cups)
about 2 pieces deli ham (we use Dilusso because it’s preservative-free)
about 1 cup shredded cheese (your choice; we used cheddar this time)
about 1/2 – 1 c whole milk (or skim or soy)
approx. 1-2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely minced (dried parsley will work, but use less)
approx 2 teaspoons ground mustard
approx 1 teaspoon ground pepper (or to taste)
- 2-3 pieces whole wheat bread (about 1 1/2 – 2 cups)
- about 2 pieces deli ham (we use Dilusso because it’s preservative-free)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (your choice; we used cheddar this time)
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 – 1 c whole milk (or skim or soy)
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely minced (dried parsley will work, but use less)
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper (or to taste)
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease muffins tins.
2) Drop bread pieces evenly in muffin tins until they come about halfway up the tin.
3) Sprinkle about 1 T of cheese in each.
4) Sprinkle ham pieces evenly in each tin.
5) Whisk together milk, eggs, parsley, ground mustard, and pepper.
6) Pour egg mixture evenly in each muffin tin. It should completely cover the bread, ham and cheese. Leave just a little room at the very top so it doesn't overflow.
7) Sprinkle a little more cheese on the top of each one.
8) Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown on top and cooked through the middle.