I’m always on the lookout for easy breakfast ideas that are tasty, family-friendly, use up leftovers, and potentially freeze and reheat well. These Breakfast Casserole Muffins fit the bill for sure on the first three accounts.
Wondering if these work as a freezer meal? Well, I tried a Freezer Meal experiment with two of them. I wrapped them tightly in plastic wrap and a freezer bag and froze them. Then, I took them straight from the freezer and microwaved them for about a minute total (turning them once). They turned out fine! Of course, I would say they are best when straight from the oven, but the texture and taste wasn’t much different at all.
One of the best parts about these savory muffins is that it’s super easy to include your kids in the preparation. My kiddos love helping me tear up leftover bread pieces (which I store in a ziplock in the freezer) and placing them in each greased muffin tin. They also help sprinkle cheese, tear up and scatter ham pieces, and stir the egg mixture.
Note: The measurements in my recipe are approximate. It’s hard to mess these up, so use your judgment as you go.
Just take a look at how easy it is to put these together! Pin this image and be sure to make these often in the future.
- 3-4 pieces whole wheat bread, torn into small pieces (enough to fill muffin tins almost to top)
- 3-4 slices deli ham (look for preservative-free)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper (or more or less to taste)
- dried Parsley
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease muffins tins well.
2) Drop bread pieces evenly in muffin tins until they come about 2/3 of the way up the tin.
3) Sprinkle ham pieces evenly in each tin.
4) Sprinkle cheese evenly in each tin.
5) Whisk together eggs, milk, ground mustard, and pepper.
6) Pour egg mixture evenly in each muffin tin.
7) Sprinkle a little dried Parsley on the top of each one.
8) Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown on top and cooked through the middle.