Easy Breakfast Casserole Muffins

easy breakfast casserole muffin recipeI’m always on the lookout for easy breakfast ideas that are tasty, family-friendly, use up leftovers, and potentially freeze and reheat well.  These Breakfast Casserole Muffins fit the bill for sure on the first three accounts.  As for the freezing, I’m currently conducting an experiment.  I have two in the freezer and will try reheating them in the microwave and/or stove tomorrow morning (and update this post).  Hat tip to my friend, Kelly G, who works hard at creating a healthy refuge of her own, for the inspiration for this recipe!

Freezer Experiment Update (1/27/10):  I took them straight from the freezer and microwaved them for about a minute total (turning them once).  They turned out fine!  Of course, I would say they are best when straight from the oven, but the texture and taste wasn’t much different at all.  I’m going to start making these frequently to freeze in large quantities.

One of the best parts about these savory muffins is that it’s super easy to include your kids in the preparation.  Jack loved helping me tear up leftover bread pieces (which I store in a ziplock in the freezer) and placing them in each greased muffin tin.  He also helped sprinkle cheese, tear up and scatter ham pieces, and stir the egg mixture.

egg casserole with kids

Note:  The measurements in my recipe are approximate.  Honestly, I didn’t measure anything but just eyeballed it all.  It’s hard to mess these up, so use your judgment as you go.

Easy Breakfast Casserole Muffins

Makes:  12 muffins

about 2 pieces whole wheat bread (about 1 1/2 – 2 cups)
about 2 pieces deli ham (we use Dilusso because it’s preservative-free)
about 1 cup shredded cheese (your choice; we used cheddar this time)
8 eggs
about 1/2 – 1 c whole milk (or skim or soy)
approx. 1-2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely minced (dried parsley will work, but use less)
approx 2 teaspoons ground mustard
approx 1 teaspoon ground pepper (or to taste)

recipe for breakfast casserole muffins

Easy Breakfast Casserole Muffins

Ingredients

• 2-3 pieces whole wheat bread (about 1 1/2 – 2 cups)
  • about 2 pieces deli ham (we use Dilusso because it’s preservative-free)
  • 1 cup shredded cheese (your choice; we used cheddar this time)
  • 8 eggs
  • 1/2 – 1 c whole milk (or skim or soy)
  • 1-2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely minced (dried parsley will work, but use less)
  • 2 teaspoons ground mustard
  • 1 teaspoon ground pepper (or to taste)

Instructions

1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease muffins tins.

2) Drop bread pieces evenly in muffin tins until they come about halfway up the tin.

3) Sprinkle about 1 T of cheese in each.

4) Sprinkle ham pieces evenly in each tin.

5) Whisk together milk, eggs, parsley, ground mustard, and pepper.

6) Pour egg mixture evenly in each muffin tin. It should completely cover the bread, ham and cheese. Leave just a little room at the very top so it doesn't overflow.

7) Sprinkle a little more cheese on the top of each one.

8) Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown on top and cooked through the middle.

egg casserole muffin recipe

Pin It

Like this post? Join thousands of other subscribers and get our weekly newsletter.

Comments

1. The Lammys says

Okay…I can't WAIT to hear how these turned out frozen…

2. Carla says

Thanks for posting this Rach. I never thought about it. But Kev LOVES breakfast casserole. So, I made these over the weekend. They just seem easier to manage than a big casserole cut up for him. We froze some too and they were great!!

3. Pingback: 101 Easy Recipes - Back to School is here! - Blessed Beyond A Doubt

4. KayleneP says

Was looking for breakfast recipes on Pinterest and came accross these muffins. They look great, can’t wait to give them a try!

5. Stephanie says

Can these be made ahead of time?

Absolutely. Just bake, cool, and toss in a freezer bag. To warm up, just wrap in a most paper towel and microwave in 30 second increments until warmed through.

6. Xia says

Right at this very moment my mini casseroles are in the oven, I’m very excited! Trying to get into cooking aswell as baking and these are a great starter:)

Xia, way to go! You’re going to save so much money and eat healthier because of it (at least that’s what happened for me, when I started cooking at home). Thanks for leaving a comment. I hope the muffins turned out well.

7. laura says

These look wonderful, I can’t wait to try them! Do you think it would work using paper muffin liners, or would that be a papery mess?

I think they would work. Maybe you could spray the paper liners with a little cooking spray just to make sure they peel off easily.

8. Annie says

Going to make these tonight, thanks to Pinterest! I don’t eat ham, but have turkey meat in the fridge. I also have some tomatoes that need to be used… will probably throw those in as well!

Hope they turn out well!

9. Lynne says

Great idea! I’m going to try these with chopped pre-cooked broccoli and a smidge of bacon. Thanks for the idea!

10. Kiley says

Love these! I make mine with quinoa instead of bread for a little extra protein, and do a half-and-half mixture of whole eggs and egg whites. :)

Ooo, love the idea of incorporating quinoa. Thanks!

11. Nikki says

Oooh! I always made these with only egg, meat & veggies! Now I’m definitely going to have to either add in the bread crumbs or add in the flour/cornmeal from the Savory Breakfast Muffins recipe! All last winter a friend and I would have ‘cooking days’ since I had already been in the mindset of making 4 of a recipe when I cooked. My motto was, if I’m making a mess already, make a lot of the thing and have frozen meals ready to go! So, we had wine and chatted while we cooked it up, cannot wait to add many, MANY of these recipes to our monthly cooking days!!!

Can we be friends? That sounds SO fun! :)

12. Sarah says

Mine did not come out of pan intact. Any ideas? Thanks!

Hmm, you mean they stuck to the sides or literally just fell apart? If sticking, then more oil/grease in the muffin pan. If falling apart, then you didn’t have enough binder (egg) for the amount of bread and other filling. Add more eggs or use less fillers next time. I hope that helps! I hate it when I do all that work and a recipe doesn’t work, so sorry. I’ll try to retest it later this week and make sure we have the amounts correct (but I do know Polly and I have both made these and they worked fine in the past).

13. Bianca says

I made these this morning and they were so GREAT! I used homemade turkey breakfast sausage instead of ham, and my entire family of 6 Loved them! Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

Yum! Thanks for sharing. We’re always thrilled to hear of recipe successes!

14. Joanne says

I am enjoying reading your blog and your suggestions for the busy mom. Now a retired mom of three awesome young adults, I look forward to the best phase of life: grandchildren! I have shared your site with my sweet niece who has two daughters, 26 and 2 mos.
    As a young working mom, I survived on our frozen “plops”(cupcake-pan frozen stuff) –at first we didn’t even have a microwave (can you say, “back in ’08 before the big freeze?”) A friend brought me a Baggie-ful of frozen fruit salad plops and (frozen) hot tuna salad/crescent roll sandwiches. Perfect for one handed eating while nursing! I look back and marvel that we were able to get the job done!
    Love your spiritual bent on life and advice to the young moms out there. God bless you and yours, and all your readers!

What a sweet comment! I love this. Thanks for sharing about your frozen meal memories…moms of all generations have surely been doing something akin to this, right? Thanks for reading/sharing our blog and taking the time to comment!

15. Emily says

I made these today for my daughter’s 2nd birthday party tomorrow. They taste great, but they stuck really badly to the muffin tins. I figured that if I used muffin cups, they would just stick to those too. Any suggestions for getting to not stick? I liberally sprayed them with my misto/olive oil spray, and they still stuck. I got a good work out this morning grating the cheese and then prying them out of the muffin tins so that they would still look decent. Thanks.

Sorry it was so much work for you! I hate it when the happens. I would try a different kind of pan, like a stoneware muffin tin. I’ve found some pans stick more easily than others. And, yes, grease it, grease it, grease it. Other idea is to make this one large egg casserole and line the casserole dish with parchment paper. Hope that helps!

16. Erika says

thanks for the great recipe idea! I think we’ll try with frozen hashbrown mixture on the bottom rather than bread chunks. And adding some green chili with the ham & cheese. :)

I’ve tried with hashbrowns before and it does work! The added veggies sound yummy to me (but, too bad, not to the littles). :)

17. Thank you so much for the recipe! I’d seen a similar one on FB but it wasn’t linked back to instructions. I think I’ll make this tonight so that my husband and I will have it tomorrow. Note: Our little one will not venture near anything with eggs in it. Her loss, right? One day when she’s in college, she’ll be calling home and say, “Mom! I miss your cooking!” I just know it!