• Homemade Clif Kid ZBars

by Rachel on February 16, 2011

My son (age 4) and daughter (age 2) are huge fans of the Clif Kid ZBars.  Good and Not Good.  Good =  These bars contain all organic ingredients, fiber, and some vitamins and minerals.  Not Good = A box of six bars runs about $4.80, and they go fast around our house.  Thankfully, I found a recipe for homemade granola bars that is way cheaper, full of all-natural ingredients, and tastes awesome.  In fact, these puppies are dangerous…I could eat half a pan in a sitting.

Homemade Clif Kid ZBars (or Homemade Granola Bars)

Makes: about 10-12 small bars

1/2 cup peanut butter or almond butter
    1/3 cup honey
    1/4 cup coconut oil (or another oil of your choice)
    1 cup oats (I used organic quick oats)
    1 cup total of any combination of:  finely chopped nuts, unsweetened coconut flakes, sunflower seeds, dried fruit, dark chocolate chips

In a medium sized saucepan, melt together the nut butter, honey and coconut oil.  Remove from heat and add one cup of oats.  Choose your favorite combination of coconut flakes, chopped nuts, sunflower seeds, dried fruit and dark chocolate chips, to equal a total of ONE CUP.  Pour in and stir well.  Stir well, then spread mixture into an 8×8 pan.  Chill for two hours, then cut into bars.  Wrap in plastic wrap for a quick grab and go snack!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Myers Adoption February 21, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Really like these. I made a double batch. I accidently bought chunky natural peanut butter instead of creamy (usually always buy creamy) but it was really good in these. I didn't have coconut oil and did not want to use canola so I used butter. I was wondering if you use coconut oil alot in your cooking and if it leaves a coconut taste.

Rachel February 24, 2011 at 4:01 am

Chunky pb sounds like a great idea. I've added chopped peanuts before, but that sounds easier.

I just recently started using coconut oil when baking. The expeller pressed kind I get at Hyvee does not have a strong coconut flavor at all. I also use it in the skillet when making pancakes or french toast. Mainly for sweet items, not savory…except for popcorn. It makes the BEST movie theater-style popcorn.

Tracey Grzanich April 17, 2012 at 12:45 pm

HI, So I heard of your blog thru a good friend of mine, Genese Marshall….I am really loving your blog!! you have alot of great stuff on here! I have a question for you. why do you use coconut oil in so many of your recipes? From what I know of coconut oil it has alot of unhealthy fats. Thanks!

Rachel April 17, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Tracey,

Thanks for stopping by! Funny you should ask. I have a post I’ve been working on about coconut oil, so you might check back for a more thorough post. In the meantime, check out a few articles that might help explain:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/10/22/coconut-oil-and-saturated-fats-can-make-you-healthy.aspx OR http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/coconut-oil-benefits_b_821453.html

Abby Woodruff January 4, 2014 at 2:48 am

Hi, I love your blog so much!! I was wondering if you can freeze these bars, and about how long do they last frozen, and not frozen? Thank you:)

Rachel January 20, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Good question. Yes, you can freeze them. I would guess (just from doing this with muffins and lots of other meals) they will be fine for a minimum of a month and probably longer if you wrap them up tight in plastic wrap and put them in a freezer bag or container. Not frozen, they will last for several days in the fridge or on the counter.