Homemade Clif Kid ZBars

homemade clif kid z bar recipe

My little ones are huge fans of the Clif Kid ZBars. I love that these bars contain all organic ingredients, fiber, and some vitamins and minerals. However, I dislike that a box of six bars runs about $4.80, and they go fast around our house.

Thankfully, I found a recipe for homemade granola bars that is way cheaper, full of all-natural ingredients, and tastes awesome.  In fact, these puppies are dangerous…I could eat half a pan in a sitting. They remind me of our Powerball Cookies but in a form of a granola bar.clif z bar recipe

Making your own homemade Clif Kid ZBars is REALLY easy. I like that you can customize the bars according to your (or your kids’) preferences. For these bars I used a mix of craisins, golden raisins, dried cherries, pecans, and dark chocolate.

ingredients for homemade clif z bars

Start by melting together the peanut butter, honey and oil.

Mix the melted mixture with the oats.

mixing ingredients for homemade clif z bars

Lastly, stir in your chosen ingredients and spread them in an 8×8 pan.

It was at this moment that I realized my pan was still loaned out to someone so I had to improvise…

Looks funny it but it did the trick-haha!

chilling homemade z bars

After chilling the bars for over 2 hours, they were ready to cut and eat up.

Don’t forget to store these bad boys in the fridge. They become a bit gooey if left out.

Homemade Clif Kid ZBars (or Homemade Granola Bars)

Makes: about 10-12 small bars

Homemade Clif Kid ZBars

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup peanut butter or almond butter
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil (or another oil of your choice)
  • 1 cup oats (I used organic quick oats)
  • 1 cup total of any combination of: finely chopped nuts, unsweetened coconut flakes, sunflower seeds, dried fruit, dark chocolate chips

Instructions

1) In a medium sized saucepan, melt together the nut butter, honey and coconut oil.

2) Remove from heat and add one cup of oats.

3) Choose your favorite combination of coconut flakes, chopped nuts, sunflower seeds, dried fruit and dark chocolate chips, to equal a total of ONE CUP. Pour in and stir well.

4) Stir well, then spread mixture into an 8×8 pan.

5) Chill for two hours, then cut into bars. Wrap in plastic wrap for a quick grab and go snack!

(Store bars in the fridge)

homemade clif bar recipe

Pin It

Like this post? Join thousands of other subscribers and get our weekly newsletter.

Comments

1. Myers Adoption says

Really like these. I made a double batch. I accidently bought chunky natural peanut butter instead of creamy (usually always buy creamy) but it was really good in these. I didn't have coconut oil and did not want to use canola so I used butter. I was wondering if you use coconut oil alot in your cooking and if it leaves a coconut taste.

2. Rachel says

Chunky pb sounds like a great idea. I've added chopped peanuts before, but that sounds easier.

I just recently started using coconut oil when baking. The expeller pressed kind I get at Hyvee does not have a strong coconut flavor at all. I also use it in the skillet when making pancakes or french toast. Mainly for sweet items, not savory…except for popcorn. It makes the BEST movie theater-style popcorn.

3. Pingback: Simple Homemade Granola Recipe

4. Tracey Grzanich says

HI, So I heard of your blog thru a good friend of mine, Genese Marshall….I am really loving your blog!! you have alot of great stuff on here! I have a question for you. why do you use coconut oil in so many of your recipes? From what I know of coconut oil it has alot of unhealthy fats. Thanks!

5. Rachel says

Tracey,

Thanks for stopping by! Funny you should ask. I have a post I’ve been working on about coconut oil, so you might check back for a more thorough post. In the meantime, check out a few articles that might help explain:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/10/22/coconut-oil-and-saturated-fats-can-make-you-healthy.aspx OR http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/coconut-oil-benefits_b_821453.html

6. Abby Woodruff says

Hi, I love your blog so much!! I was wondering if you can freeze these bars, and about how long do they last frozen, and not frozen? Thank you:)

Good question. Yes, you can freeze them. I would guess (just from doing this with muffins and lots of other meals) they will be fine for a minimum of a month and probably longer if you wrap them up tight in plastic wrap and put them in a freezer bag or container. Not frozen, they will last for several days in the fridge or on the counter.