Oven Omelet Recipe

oven omelet breakfast recipe

My family has a love affair with eggs whether it’s for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.  No skin off my back, since they are cheap, easy to make, and healthy.  This “omelette” casserole is either breakfast or dinner at our house at least once a week.  A few advantages of the Oven Omelet:

• less work and mess to make than scrambled eggs or a traditional egg casserole
  • great for a big crowd
  • you can easily refrigerate the leftovers and reheat later
  • your kids can help you make it
  • you can use a piece of it on a toasted bagel or English muffin for a quick breakfast sandwich
  • you can hide veggies in it, which I often do for my kids (try finely grated carrot, pureed squash, pureed sweet potato, chopped up green pepper, chopped up spinach or pureed pumpkin)
  • make it vegetarian by replacing the meat with some sauteed peppers and onions

We often pair this breakfast item with fresh fruit and Brownie Baked Oatmeal or Peanut Butter and Banana Baked Oatmeal.

Oven Omelet

Makes: 6 servings
From:  http://www.lynnskitchenadventures.com/2009/05/oven-omelet.html (with a few of my additions)

8-9 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (you could sub other cheeses like mozzarella, fresh Parm, swiss, or pepper jack)
1/2 – 1 cup chopped ham or cooked breakfast sausage
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tsp dried parsley, crushed in your hand or 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Beat eggs and milk until combined.  Stir in cheese, meat, pepper, and parsley (or any other additions you like).  Pour into a greased 8×8 or 9×9 casserole dish. Here is what it looked like before it baked.

oven omelet

Bake for 20 minutes or until set. (This one took about 25 minutes).

Enjoy and don’t forget to save the leftovers!Easy oven omelet recipe

Make sure to check out our other breakfast recipes for more healthy ideas.

Pin It

Like this post? Join thousands of other subscribers and get our weekly newsletter.

Comments

1. Polly says

For sure going to try this one!

2. Pingback: 50 Simple Ways to Sneak Fruits & Vegetables Into Kid Favorites

3. Shonda says

I love this idea. I “make” omelets every other day and I just want something easier.

4. Pingback: Healthy Christmas Morning Breakfast Ideas

5. Pingback: Food for a One Year Old: Healthy meal ideas for your little one

6. Debbie says

Do you know if this freezes well? To be heated up as individual servings? I am the first one to leave the house in the mornings and am constantly looking for super easy breakfast solutions for my family. As long as they can grab it and nuke it, they will usually eat it!

Debbie, this really isn’t a great one to freeze ahead and reheat in the microwave. Gets a little tough. I would suggest trying the Breakfast Casserole Muffins, Savory Breakfast Muffins, Chocolate Banana Muffins (Version 2.0), and Breakfast Cookies if you want some freezable/reheatable options for the family. I make up a batch, let them cool completely, put them in a freezer bag. To reheat from frozen, cover with a moist paper towel and microwave in increments (start with 30-60 seconds and keep going until warmed through).

7. Debi says

Just made today for a great Memorial Day breakfast. It was a hit with the whole family. The best part was it was so easy to make & tasted awesome. I put sautéd onions & peppers, spinach, bacon, green onion & cheese in mine.

Ooo, that sounds delicious. Can’t go wrong with more veggies and of course bacon and cheese.

8. michelle says

I want to make this and add hash brown potatoes to the mix? Would you add them frozen?

I haven’t added frozen hashbrowns to this particular recipe before, so I’m not sure. Has anyone else tried this?

9. Jen Garrett says

Had this last week and its in the oven again for tonight! Loved it that much! AND it was SO easy!!!