Talk about some yum-yum in the tum-tum! In a hunt for banana bread recipes, I stumbled on this recipe from Cooking Light. Since the recipe called for grits, I almost didn’t make it. However, after consulting Rachel and doing a little research, I realized I could replace the grits with oatmeal. I made a few other tweaks and came out with two delicious loaves of bread that I’ve been enjoying in the mornings.
It’s hearty. It’s healthy. It’s sweet. It’s delish. I made an extra loaf so I could freeze it for later. They are both already gone. Oops.
Here’s the recipe:
Banana Blueberry Oatmeal Bread
Swing by our recipe index for other great breakfast ideas!Print
You will want to try this banana blueberry bread. It is hearty. It’s healthy. It’s sweet. It’s delicious. Bake a second loaf to store in the freezer.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup uncooked oats
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons canola oil (can also sub with real butter or coconut oil)
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 3/4 cup blueberries
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours, oats, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture.
- Combine oil, banana, blueberries, and eggs; add to flour mixture. Stir just until moist.
- Spoon batter into an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool bread in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack.
- Remove bread from pan, and cool completely on wire rack.
Freezer Meal Instructions:
Bake bread as directed in recipe. Let cool completely. Once cool, cut in slices. Place in freezer safe bag or container. Store for up to 3 months.
Remove desired number of slices from freezer. Warm them in the refrigerator overnight (great if you’re thawing the whole loaf) or for a few seconds in the microwave (perfect for just a slice or two).