This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Did you make this? Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram at @thrivinghome so we can see your creations and cheer you on!
- 4 bananas, peeled and sliced (NOT overly ripe)
- 1 cup oats, pulsed through a food processor until coarse flour forms
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed (can sub wheat flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ cup half and half
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 2–3 tablespoons raw honey or real maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- For The Topping
- ⅓ cup oats
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 tablespoon raw honey or real maple syrup
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice the bananas into rounds about 1/2 inch thick.
- After lining a baking sheet with aluminum foil, spray generously with nonstick cooking spray and place the bananas on the baking sheet.
- Bake bananas for about 10-15 minutes, flipping once and removing from the oven when the bananas are deep golden brown on the outside.
- Transfer bananas to a bowl and give them a good smash.
- Break down the oats in a food processor until a flour-like meal is formed. (This took about 45 seconds for me.)
- Combine all the dry ingredients (oat flour, whole wheat flour, flax seed, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg) in a large bowl. Stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the half and half, yogurt, eggs, melted butter, vanilla, and honey until smooth.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the wet to the dry.
- Stir around the bowl until the batter is just barely combined (if you stir too much during this step, your muffins are going to have a gummy, chewy consistency).
- Fold the caramelized bananas and pecans into the mixture, stirring just a few more times.
- Transfer the batter to muffin cups. If you’re using a pan, make sure to grease it well.
- Mix the topping ingredients together and spoon over the muffins.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes, until the muffins are puffed slightly and spring back when you touch the tops.
Freezer Meal Instructions:
Bake muffins as directed in recipe. Let cool completely. Once cool, place in freezer safe bag or container for up to 3 months.
Remove desired number of muffins from freezer. Let thaw in refrigerator overnight or warm slightly in the microwave.