My little ones are huge fans of the Clif Kid ZBars. I love that these bars contain all organic ingredients, fiber, and some vitamins and minerals. However, I dislike that a box of six bars runs about $4.80, and they go fast around our house.
Thankfully, I found a recipe for homemade granola bars that is way cheaper, full of all-natural ingredients, and tastes awesome. In fact, these puppies are dangerous…I could eat half a pan in a sitting. They remind me of our Powerball Cookies but in a granola bar form.
Making your own homemade Clif Kid ZBars is REALLY easy. I like that you can customize the bars according to your (or your kids’) preferences. For these bars I used a mix of craisins, golden raisins, dried cherries, pecans, and dark chocolate.
Start by melting together the peanut butter, honey and oil.
Mix the melted mixture with the oats.
Lastly, stir in your chosen ingredients and spread them in an 8×8 pan.
It was at this moment that I realized my pan was still loaned out to someone so I had to improvise…
Looks funny it but it did the trick-haha!
After chilling the bars for over 2 hours, they were ready to cut and eat up.
Don’t forget to store these bad boys in the fridge. They become a bit gooey if left out.
Homemade Clif Kid ZBars (or Homemade Granola Bars)
Makes: about 10-12 small bars
This bar recipe is packed with all natural ingredients and can completely be customized to the likes of your family. Try them today – they’re sure to become a next family favorite!
- 1/2 cup peanut butter or almond butter
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (or another oil of your choice)
- 1 cup oats (I used organic quick oats)
- 1 cup total of any combination of: finely chopped nuts, unsweetened coconut flakes, sunflower seeds, dried fruit, dark chocolate chips
- In a medium sized saucepan, melt together the nut butter, honey and coconut oil.
- Remove from heat and add one cup of oats. (Note: Be sure to let this mixture cool first if adding chocolate chips in the next step or else the chips will melt.)
- Choose your favorite combination of coconut flakes, chopped nuts, sunflower seeds, dried fruit and dark chocolate chips, to equal a total of ONE CUP. Pour in and stir well.
- Stir well, then spread mixture into an 8×8 pan.
- Chill for two hours, then cut into bars. Wrap in plastic wrap for a quick grab and go snack! Store bars in the fridge or freezer.