A simple combination of chicken and veggies will help you create a healthy, delicious homemade chicken stock. Freeze some to use in homemade soups!
- 3–4 lbs of thawed chicken parts (in my case, necks)
- 1 large onion quartered
- 4 carrots peeled and cut in half
- 4 stalks of celery, cut in half
- A handful of fresh thyme
- A handful of fresh basil
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 whole cloves of garlic
- about 9–10 cups water
- Bring all ingredients to a boil in a large stock pot and then lower to a simmer, uncovered for about 2-3 hours.
- Strain out all ingredients leaving just the chicken stock.
- Note: Some recipes say to refrigerate overnight at this point, but I didn’t do this.
Freezer Meal Instructions:
Let stock cool completely. Ladle in to freezer safe bags or containers and store for up to 3 months.
Pull individual sizes of chicken stock from freezer and let thaw in refrigerator overnight. Use in soups, casseroles, or any meal that calls for chicken stock.