Simple Baked Chicken Parmesan is an easy, healthy and delicious recipe, perfect for any new cook.
- 4 chicken breasts, pounded out to about 1/2 inch thickness
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- a splash of milk
- 2/3 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- about 1 cup of marinara sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish or pan with cooking spray (or rub with vegetable oil) and set aside.
- Place chicken breasts between sheets of plastic wrap. With flat side of a meat mallet (or the bottom of a heavy pan or glass), pound chicken to about a ½ inch thickness.
- Sprinkle the front and back of each chicken breast with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- In shallow dish, whisk together egg and splash of milk. In another shallow dish combine bread crumbs and parmesan cheese.
- Dip chicken breasts, one at a time, in egg mixture, turning to coat. Allow excess to drip off. Then dip chicken pieces in breadcrumb mixture, turning to coat. Shake off the excess.
- Place breaded chicken in greased 9×13 casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees for about 20-25 minutes, until it is no longer pink in the middle or the juices run clear. (Note: To check doneness, make a small slit in the middle of one chicken breast with a knife and pull open to make sure it is white, not pink.)
- Top each chicken breast with a spoonful or so of pasta sauce. Spread sauce around the top of each piece of chicken. Then, sprinkle 1-2 tablespoons of mozzarella cheese over the top of each piece, as well.
- Put chicken back in the oven for 5 minutes, until cheese is melted. Serve warm over pasta.
Freezer Meal Instructions:
Bread the chicken and place in a freezer bag or tightly wrapped casserole dish. Separately bag the marinara and cheese and freeze with the breaded chicken.
When ready to eat, thaw the meal components in the fridge overnight. Or for a quick defrost method: Thaw chicken in the microwave on the defrost setting. Run the frozen marinara bag under warm water to defrost. Do not defrost the cheese. Then, starting with Step 7, bake the chicken as directed.