This post may contain affiliate or sponsored links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Chicken Burger Recipe is a kid and adult fave! Make ahead and freeze a batch for later or make them tonight for a delicious and healthy dinner.
Reasons You’ll Love This Recipe
I’ve been making these Mini Chicken Burgers for well over a decade now. In fact, my Freezer Club deemed them a “home run” recipe, and it became one that we made for our group several times per year!
- Tasty? Check.
- Kids like them? Check.
- Easy to make? Check.
- Healthy? Check.
- Freezable? Check.
Similar to our Turkey Burger Sliders, the ingredients are simple and recognizable.
- Ground chicken – I like to use the leanest cut, but it’s up to you. You can also substitute ground turkey.
- Minced garlic – I buy the jarred kind to save time.
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley – Curled leaf will work as well.
- Whole wheat Panko breadcrumbs – make your own breadcrumbs using this method.
- Sliced provolone – Mozzarella will work as well.
- Optional toppings: lettuce or arugula, tomato slices, mayo, thinly sliced red onion
How to Make Chicken Burgers
Form the Patties
In a large mixing bowl, use clean hands to combine the chicken burger ingredients. Form mini patties and coat each one in some breadcrumbs.
Cook on the Stovetop
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmery. Add half of the patties and cook for 4 minutes on each side, or until browned and cooked through.
If desired, add 2 little pieces of cheese to the top of each burger in the last minute of cooking. Transfer to a plate and loosely cover with foil. Add more oil to the pan and repeat with remaining patties.
How to Freeze Chicken Burgers
You’ve come to the right place if you’re looking for make-ahead freezer meals.
Freeze For Later: Form the patties, dredge in breadcrumbs, and freeze uncooked burgers in single layers between parchment paper either in a gallon-sized freezer bag or freezer container. Seal well and freeze.
Prepare From Frozen: Thaw in the refrigerator for 24-48 hours. Cook according to instructions.
Chicken burgers are often considered to be healthier than beef burgers, because they are generally lower in fat and calories.
Yes! Chicken Burgers can be made in the air fryer. In fact, we have an entire post walking you through how to make Air Fryer Turkey Burgers. Even though these are for turkey burgers, the same instructions apply.
Yes! Use almond flour in place of the bread crumbs or make your own gluten-free breadcrumbs using toasted, gluten-free bread. I have found that store-bought gluten-free Panko breadcrumbs (made with rice flour) stick to the pan and don’t yield good results, so I don’t recommend those.
Yes. Form the patties, dredge in breadcrumbs, and freeze uncooked burgers in single layers between parchment paper either in a gallon-sized freezer bag or freezer container. Seal well and freeze.
We have two suggestions for how to serve chicken burgers.
1. Serve them a la carte with Avocado Aioli on top or on the side. Dipping each bite of my mini chicken burger in the avocado aioli is my hands-down favorite way to eat them! The sauce is super easy to whip up.
2. Serve them on a bun, topped with your favorite cheese if you want. I would suggest Provolone or Havarti cheese over the top, but pick whatever kind you love. Kids especially love the burgers served this way. You can also top them with lettuce or arugula, tomato slices, and that amazing Avocado Aioli I mentioned.
As for side dish ideas, we enjoy sweet potato fries or Oven Fries and some fruit for a simple weeknight meal.
Did you make this? Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram at @thrivinghome so we can see your creations and cheer you on!
- 2 pounds ground chicken (sub: ground turkey)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup dried bread crumbs (recommend: whole wheat Panko breadcrumbs or Gluten-Free Breadcrumbs)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil
- Optional for serving: 16 slider buns, cheese slices, favorite burgers toppings, Avocado Aioli
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
Make It Now:
- In a large bowl, use a fork or your hands to gently combine the ground chicken, garlic, parsley, oregano, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Form the mixture into 16 small patties.
- Place the bread crumbs in a shallow dish. Coat each patty in the crumbs on both sides; set aside. (Freezing instructions begin here.)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmery. Add some of the patties (try not to overcrowd the pan) and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, until browned and cooked through. They are cooked through when there is no longer any pink inside or they reach 165°F internally. (Note: If the patties brown before they’re cooked through, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the pan, and continue to cook for a few minutes more.) Repeat this step with the remaining oil and patties.
- Serve the chicken burgers a la carte or on mini buns with a cheese slice on top, if desired.
Freeze For Later: Follow Steps 1-2. Place the patties on a parchment or wax paper lined baking sheet in a single layer and set in the freezer to flash freeze for about an hour. After they are frozen, transfer to a large resealable bag and store for up to 3 months.
Prepare From Frozen: Thaw the patties overnight in the refrigerator. Follow Steps 3-4.
For a Gluten-Free Option: Coat the mini chicken burgers in almond flour or gluten-free breadcrumbs. If serving on buns, use gluten-free buns.
Where We Get Our Ground Chicken: We get our meat from ButcherBox. The chicken is organic and curated from small, trusted farms. We highly recommend this service to source healthy meat–like uncured bacon, wild salmon, and grass-fed beef–and have used it for years ourselves. Read my honest review here.