I try my hardest to cook from scratch and avoid processed foods when possible. My favorite Pot Roast recipe from the past included a brown gravy packet mix and Italian dressing packet mix…bummer! So, I began the search for how to create one without the use of those packets (full of MSG, sodium, and who knows what) or a “cream of something” soup, which is what 99% of the recipes online call for.
I realize there are many paths to an excellent homemade roast, but this one I researched and have tested MANY times over the years. This real food Pot Roast, along with some Homemade Wheat Sandwich Bread to sop up the sauce, might well be my favorite comfort meal of all time.
Photo credit: My dad, CurtPrint
- 2–3 pounds rump roast (trim off visible fat)
- all-natural steak seasoning
- olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 onions, diced
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 (8 ounces) no-salt tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon whole wheat flour
- 3–5 large carrots, chopped into 1-inch pieces (or about 2 cups)
- 4–6 medium russet potatoes, chopped into 1-inch pieces (or about 5–7 cups)
- Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season the roast on all sides with steak seasoning and brown on all sides. This takes about 2 minutes per side. Place roast in slow cooker.
- Next, add a little more olive oil (if necessary) to the pan and saute onions, celery, and garlic until tender, about 3-5 minutes. While sauteing veggies, lightly season with salt and pepper. Be sure to use a wooden spoon to scrape up the brown bits in the bottom, as this adds flavor.
- Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl, whisk together tomato sauce, red wine, chicken stock, bay leaf, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, black pepper, salt, and whole wheat flour. Pour over meat in the slow cooker.
- Add the onion/celery/garlic mixture to the slow cooker. Stir everything around, making sure all the veggies and meat are coated with sauce.
- Slow cook on low for 4-5 hours (or longer if desired). Then, add carrots and potatoes to sauce in slow cooker and cook another 2 hours, or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove the roast and let rest on wooden cutting board for about 10 minutes (or turn off slow cooker, remove lid and let rest). Then shred using two forks. Gently stir the meat back into the veggies and sauce. Taste and adjust seasoning, if needed.
Freezer Meal Instructions:
Fully cook and cool pot roast (do not leave out of refrigerator or freezer more than 2 hours). Place in a freezer bag or freezer-safe container. Try to remove as much air as possible and seal and/or wrap it well before placing in the freezer.
To reheat, thaw for 24-48 hours in the refrigerator (preferred method) or in the microwave using the defrost setting. Then, warm over low to medium-low heat on the stove, gently stirring occasionally.