Oh man, was this Slow Cooker Chicken Teriyaki good. Yes, I do repeat. This is a GREAT SLOW COOKER RECIPE. I have tried one too many slow cooker recipes that have failed to impress me but this one is a keeper. Another great perk of this recipe is that it’s freezer friendly!
I actually doubled this recipe the first time I made it. I made one to eat fresh and then froze this one for an upcoming busy week when cooking is going to be a stretch. Here’s a snapshot of it before it went into the freezer.
See you soon little chicken thighs!
To get that lovely glaze on the chicken it does take one extra (but easy) step. After the slow cooker has done its job, you simply boil the marinade for a few extra minutes and then coat the chicken with it. Easy peasy.
Serve it over some rice and you have yourself an easy weeknight meal!
This fast, healthy chicken teriyaki dinner will thoroughly impress your family and friends. The best part – it’s made in the slow cooker, so you have very little work to do!
- 2 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Place chicken in the slow cooker.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine soy sauce, onion, garlic, vinegar, brown sugar and honey. Mix it all together and then pour it over the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours or high for 2-3 hours until internal temperature registers to 165°F.
- When chicken is done, remove it from the marinade and pour marinade into a medium sauce pan.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the cold water and cornstarch until the cornstarch is dissolved and no longer lumpy.
- Pour the cornstarch into the teriyaki sauce mixture, and whisk to combine. Bring the sauce to a boil over medium-high heat, and let it cook for about 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Pour the sauce on top of of the chicken until it is well coated. (This won’t take all of the marinade–you will have some remaining).
- Optional: Using two forks, shred the chicken and serve over rice.
Freezer Meal Instructions: To Freeze: Place the chicken and all of the marinade ingredients (minus the water and cornstarch) into a zip top freezer bag. To Prepare: Let thaw in refrigerator for 24 hours and then cook as directed.