Here’s my husband’s and my favorite enchilada recipe. If you want to go lighter on the cheese, these enchiladas are really quite good for you. With the chicken, beans, vegetables, and whole wheat tortillas, you’re getting some great lean protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals. If you’re making this for kids, you may want to pull back on the spice a bit.
A comforting, yet healthy, enchilada full of veggies, beans, chicken and cheese.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1/3 cup prepared salsa, mild, medium or hot
- homemade taco seasoning (see recipe below)
- 1/2-1 cup red enchilada sauce
- 4-6 (8-inch) whole wheat tortillas
- 1 1/3 cups shredded Monterey Jack and or Cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 9x9 casserole dish with cooking spray.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and saute 2 minutes. Add chicken and saute 5 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through. Add taco seasonings to the meat mixture.
Stir in black beans, green chiles, and salsa and simmer 5 minutes, until sauce thickens and reduces.
Put half of the enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9x9 casserole dish. Arrange 4-6 tortillas on a flat surface. Top each tortilla with an equal amount of chicken/bean mixture and 1-2 tablespoons cheese. Roll up tortillas and place side by side in a shallow baking dish. Add remaining enchilada sauce to the top. Then, top tortillas with remaining shredded cheese.
Bake enchiladas 15 minutes, until cheese is golden.
Note: You can easily freeze these before baking. Just be sure to thaw them out before baking.
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Combine the ingredients and use according to your taste in the enchilada recipe.