This light, flavorful Asian slaw is a delicious, healthy side dish that is perfect for the spring and summer months. Serve it with some grilled chicken, corn on the cob, and watermelon and you have yourself a perfect meal.
- 1/3 cup avocado or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 4 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon minced onion
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 16 oz bag of cabbage slaw mix
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup almond slivers or slices
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup toasted sunflower seeds
- 1 crisp pear or apple, diced in small chunks
- Optional: 1 1/2 lbs grilled chicken, diced
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a sealed jar and shake until combined. Chill in the fridge while making the rest of the salad.
- Toast the almonds at 350°F for about 5-10 minutes until lightly browned. Watch closely so they don’t burn.
- Approximately 30 minutes before serving, combine the slaw ingredients and then toss with part of the dressing. Taste and then add more dressing, as needed.
- Optional: To add grilled chicken, make a second batch of the dressing. Marinate chicken breasts in that mixture for 1-2 hours and discard the marinade. Grill chicken over medium heat for about 8-10 minutes, turning once, until internal temperature reaches 165°F. Let rest for 5 minutes and then slice on against the grain and top the Asian Slaw.