Full of natural goodness, this time-honored chicken and dumpling recipe is sure to be a family favorite! A great budget stretcher and crowd pleaser!
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups milk (divided)
Optional: 1 Cup peas, carrots, and/or corn
- Simmer chicken and salt in broth and water until cooked (about 30 minutes).
- Remove chicken from stock and shred chicken; return chicken to broth.
- Add peas and corn, if desired.
- Mix flour, salt, and baking powder in large bowl; cut butter into the dry ingredients until mixed well.
- Add 1 ½ cups milk and mix into a stiff dough that’s not sticky but can be patted out on a floured surface.
- Pat dough into a rectangular shape about ½ inch thick.
- Cut into 1 inch strips and then pinch off about 2 inches of the strip at a time and drop into bubbling stock.
- Turn heat down to medium/low and cover; cook slowly 12-15 minutes.
- Add about 1 ½ cups of milk and let stand about 10 minutes. If it needs thickening, you may simmer longer to reduce or add a little instant potato flakes.