Everybody now…Eat your Copa (CO!), Copabanana (Copabanana!). It’s the hottest cake north of Havana (here). Thanks for the inspiration, Barry, for the dessert I made tonight*.
I had the kids cheering “Mom is great! She feeds us banana cake!” after dinner. You can bet we’ll be having this Copabanana Cake with our breakfast tomorrow, too. Because of the whole wheat flour, coconut oil, yogurt, and bananas, this is a baked good I feel good about serving my family for breakfast, dessert, or snack time. And, they all confirmed they feel good about eating it tonight!
* Actually this recipe came from my Freezer Club buddy, Carla!Print
A deliciously moist banana cake that makes a healthy snack or breakfast. You will be surprised how fast your family will empty the dish on this one!
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup sugar (I often cut back to 1/2 cup and it’s still great.)
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted (or butter will work)
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ cup plain yogurt (or sour cream will work)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips (I used carob chips, since they are low in sugar and dairy-free)
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees. Spray 8×8 pan (or 9×12, but note shorter cooking time) with non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together sugar, eggs, coconut oil, bananas, yogurt and vanilla until smooth. Gradually add flour mixture to banana mixture. Batter will be thick.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan and spread evenly using a spatula.
- Bake for about 40 minutes (for a 9×12, bake 25-28 minutes), or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool completely.
Freezer Meal Instructions:
Bake cake as directed in recipe. Let cool completely. Cut the cake in to squares and store them in freezer safe bags or containers. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Take out desired amount of cake and thaw in refrigerator overnight. You can also warm in microwave and add a bit of butter.