A deliciously moist banana cake that makes a healthy snack or breakfast. You will be surprised how fast your family will empty the dish on this one!
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup sugar (I often cut back to 1/2 cup and it’s still great.)
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted (or butter will work)
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ cup plain yogurt (or sour cream will work)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips (I used carob chips, since they are low in sugar and dairy-free)
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees. Spray 8×8 pan (or 9×12, but note shorter cooking time) with non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together sugar, eggs, coconut oil, bananas, yogurt and vanilla until smooth. Gradually add flour mixture to banana mixture. Batter will be thick.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan and spread evenly using a spatula.
- Bake for about 40 minutes (for a 9×12, bake 25-28 minutes), or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool completely.
Freezer Meal Instructions:
Bake cake as directed in recipe. Let cool completely. Cut the cake in to squares and store them in freezer safe bags or containers. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Take out desired amount of cake and thaw in refrigerator overnight. You can also warm in microwave and add a bit of butter.