You want a killer marinade that everyone will like? Give this baby a try. This Southwest-inspired marinade packs a little smokiness, just a hint of heat, and a salty punch. We love it, especially on these fast-cooking kabobs.
Just chop up your chicken, throw it in a bag with the marinade, and let it sit in the fridge for an hour or two. While it soaks up the flavor, sit your kabob sticks in some water so they don’t get obliterated on the grill.
Then, all you have to do is quickly thread them on the sticks and grill away. This recipe only takes a few minutes on each side. The marinade would also be great on grilled veggie kabobs like peppers, onions, cherry tomatoes, and mushrooms. But, I prefer to cook them on separate kabob sticks, because they cook at a different pace than the meat.
As long as you don’t overcook these guys, you’ll end up with very moist, tasty pieces of meat. Serve them over rice, a salad, inside a taco, or on their own with some of your favorite sides.
These Grilled Marinated Chicken Kabobs with a southwest flare are one of our favorites for the grilling season. Make ahead and freeze before or after grilling!
- ⅔ cup olive oil (or I like avocado oil b/c of it’s high smoke point)
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar (sub: white vinegar)
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro (sub: fresh parsley)
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, crush in hand
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1½-2 pounds chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
- Combine all ingredients (except the chicken) in a large zip top bag and shake. Add chicken and shake again. Place bag in a dish and set in the refrigerator. Let chicken marinate for an hour or two, occasionally turning the bag to evenly distribute the marinade.
- While chicken marinates, place wooden kabob sticks in water for at least 30 minutes before grilling.
- Grill chicken kabobs over medium-high heat for about 2-3 minutes per side. Chicken is done when you cut into it and there is no more pink. Do not overcook.
Freezer Meal Instructions:
To Freeze: Place marinade and chicken in a freezer bag, shake, and freeze.
To Prepare: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Grill according to directions.