I feel silly posting this as new, exciting recipe. Because many of you already make this, right? But, Whole Grain Pizza Bread actually is kind of a new, exciting thing recently discovered in our house!
Like so many of our favorites, this recipe requires few ingredients, takes only about 20 minutes, and it’s actually decently healthy. I mean you’ve got whole grain bread (find this in the bakery section of your grocery store or a local bakery), marinara (make your own or buy a good, organic brand), and then a bit of yummy cheese provides protein and calcium. Feel free to add veggies as a topping, too, but honestly I probably won’t swap out the Applegate Uncured Mini Turkey Pepperonis myself. They were stellar.
Take a gander at how very simple this recipe is…
Oh and here’s an idea I’m going to try next time. I’m going to double this recipe and freeze the extras in foil wrap. (You know our love for freezer cooking!) I think Whole Grain Pizza Bread would work really well if you just pop it in the oven frozen and cook for a bit longer–say 20-25 minutes. Think it’s worth a shot? I’ll let you know when I do it.
Whole grain pizza bread is filled with simple ingredients, require minimal effort, and are a kid favorite! Make some today and put a batch in the freezer for a future meal.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Slice each baguette lengthwise, making two even halves. Place the halves crust side down on a greased or lined sheet pan.
- Spread marinara/pizza sauce evenly over the baguettes.
- Top evenly with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Next add your favorite toppings. (Note: I’ve only tested this with turkey pepperoni and they were the perfect thickness.)
- End with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese and a little Italian seasoning.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and golden on top.
- Slice into individual portions and serve hot.
Freezer Meal Instructions:
Assemble the pizza bread through Step 6, but do not bake. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and one or two layers of foil. Freeze.
Thaw in the refrigerator overnight, unwrap, and bake as directed. Or unwrap and bake directly from frozen as directed, until cheese is melted and it’s warmed through. It will take 5-10 extra cooking minutes from frozen.