This pizza bread is filled with simple ingredients, requires minimal effort, and is a kid favorite! Oh, and only 20 minutes from start to finish.
I feel silly posting this as new, exciting recipe. Because many of you already make this, right? But, Pizza Bread actually is kind of a new, exciting thing recently discovered in our house!
Take a gander at how very simple this recipe is…
Like so many of our favorites, this recipe requires few ingredients, takes only about 20 minutes, and it’s actually decently healthy. I mean you’ve got whole grain bread (find this in the bakery section of your grocery store or a local bakery), marinara or pizza sauce (make your own or buy a good, organic brand like Newman’s Own), and then a bit of yummy cheese provides protein and calcium. Feel free to add veggies as a topping, too, but honestly I probably won’t swap out the Applegate Uncured Mini Turkey Pepperonis myself. They were stellar.Print
Whole grain pizza bread is filled with simple ingredients, require minimal effort, and are a kid favorite! Make some today and put a batch in the freezer for a future meal.
- 2 (10 ounce) baguettes
- 2 cups of homemade or store-bought pizza sauce (or you can use a thick marinara sauce like Newman’s Own Marinara Sauce)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Your favorite pizza toppings (I used 4 ounces of Applegate uncured turkey pepperoni.)
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Italian seasoning, to taste
- Garlic powder, to taste
Make It Now
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Slice each baguette lengthwise. To do this, place your hand firmly on the top of the baguette. Use a sharp, serrated bread knife to saw back and forth from one end of the loaf to the other, so you end up with two even halves. Place the halves crust side down on a lined sheet pan.
- Spread marinara/pizza sauce evenly over the baguettes.
- Top evenly with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Next add your desired toppings, such as uncured pepperonis, thinly sliced or finely diced bell peppers, spinach, or cooked and crumbled bacon.
- End with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese, a little Italian seasoning, and a sprinkling of garlic powder over the top of each one.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and golden on top.
- Slice into individual portions and serve hot.
Freeze For Later: Assemble the pizza bread through Step 6, but do not bake. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and one or two layers of foil. Freeze.
Prepare From Frozen: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight, unwrap, and bake as directed. Or unwrap and bake directly from frozen as directed, until cheese is melted and it’s warmed through. It will take 10+ extra cooking minutes if the pizza bread is still frozen.