Sounds weird. I know. But, hang with me a minute…and know that I wouldn’t have put this recipe on our blog if it wasn’t a huge hit with my entire fam.
Look, squash is just a stone’s throw away from zucchini. And everybody knows that you can put zucchini in every muffin, bread, cookie, waffle, and probably coffee drink (well, not yet) possible. Why should yellow squash get the stink eye then?
Fact: Summer squash makes this cake uber moist, incredibly nutritious (check out squash’s profile here), and it’s tasteless. Perfect for picky eaters who need a little beefing (or is it vegging?) up in the vegetable department. I know a thing or two about that.
In addition to the yellow squash, this cake is entirely made with whole grains. Can anyone say fiber? Feel good feeding your family this snack or breakfast “cake”. Yum!Print
Summer squash makes this cake uber moist and incredibly nutritious. Eat your veggies and love them too with this deliciously healthy treat!
- 4 cups white whole wheat or spelt flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups unrefined sugar (I often cut back to 1 cup and it’s still great.)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted (or butter will work)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded summer squash (throw out the seeds) or zucchini
- 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt (or sour cream will work)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 9×12 with non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together sugar, eggs, coconut oil, squash, yogurt and vanilla until smooth.
- Gradually add flour mixture to squash mixture. Batter will be thick. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan and spread evenly using a spatula.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool completely.