Summer squash makes this cake uber moist and incredibly nutritious. Eat your veggies and love them too with this deliciously healthy treat!
- 4 cups white whole wheat or spelt flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups unrefined sugar (I often cut back to 1 cup and it’s still great.)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted (or butter will work)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded summer squash (throw out the seeds) or zucchini
- 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt (or sour cream will work)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 9×12 with non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together sugar, eggs, coconut oil, squash, yogurt and vanilla until smooth.
- Gradually add flour mixture to squash mixture. Batter will be thick. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan and spread evenly using a spatula.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool completely.