- 1/2 lb breakfast sausage (cooked, drained, crumbled) OR 1 cup chopped ham
- 1 medium-sized green or red pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 T oil
- salt, pepper, and garlic powder, to taste (for sauteing veggies)
- 2 cups homemade baking mix or all-natural baking mix (find in health food section)
- 1 cup cornmeal (Hodgson Mills is a great brand with no added ingredients)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 5 T melted butter
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Spray muffin tins with cooking spray and set aside.
Saute onion and peppers in 1-2 T oil (or the sausage grease) for a few minutes until soft. Season with a little salt, pepper, and garlic powder while sauteing.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Mix together dry ingredients in large bowl: baking mix, cornmeal, salt, pepper, and garlic.
Mix together wet ingredients in a separate bowl: eggs, buttermilk, and butter.
Add sausage or ham, bell pepper, onion, and cheese to the wet mix, and stir until combined.
Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir just until combined (do not over mix).
Ladle the filling into the prepared muffin tins, filling almost to top.
Bake for 15-20 minutes. Muffins are done when an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Allow to cool in pans for 5 minutes and then turn out onto a cooling rack.
To Freeze: Wrap each muffin in plastic wrap and then fill a freezer ziploc until full of muffins.
To Reheat: Wrap in a paper towel. Microwave on high for approx 90 seconds.