- 1/2 lb breakfast sausage (cooked, drained, crumbled) OR 1 cup chopped cooked ham
- 1 medium-sized green or red pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 tablespoon oil
- salt and pepper, to taste (for seasoning veggies)
- 2 cups all-natural baking mix (Notes: It's important to not use a whole wheat mix here, or your muffins will be too dense.)
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray muffin tins with cooking spray and set aside.
2) Saute onion and peppers in 1-2 tablespoons oil for a few minutes until soft. Season with a little salt and pepper while sauteing.
3) Mix together dry ingredients in large bowl: baking mix, cornmeal, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
4) Mix together wet ingredients in a separate bowl: eggs, buttermilk, and butter. Add sausage or ham, bell pepper, onion, and cheese to the wet mix, and stir until combined.
6) Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir just until combined (do not over mix).
7) Ladle the filling into the prepared muffin tins, filling 3/4ths of the way up.
8) Bake for 15-20 minutes. Muffins are done when an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
9) Allow to cool in pans for a couple of minutes and then turn out onto a cooling rack.
To freeze, wrap each muffin in plastic wrap and then fill a freezer ziptop bag until full of muffins. To reheat: Wrap an individual frozen muffin in a moist paper towel. Microwave on high for 30 second increments until warmed through (usually about 1 1/2 minutes total).