• Oatmeal Pancake Mix Recipe

by Polly on January 20, 2012

Confession: Up until a few months ago, I have always made my pancakes out of Bisquick. I was raised on good ol Bisquick pancakes and was on a route to raise my little ones on the same thing. That was until I came across this Oatmeal Pancake Mix recipe that my sister sent my way. My pancake experience will never be the same.

I also love that these are tons healthier than my good ol Bisquick boys. Ingredients like whole wheat and oats make me feel better about a belly full of pancakes. Now only if I could resist the bacon and syrup! Oh well, you can’t have it all.

One last thing I want to tell you about these before I share the recipe: You can make a huge amount of mix and just keep it in your fridge for future use. It won’t go bad! This is what I did. I just wrote the recipe on the bag and shoved it in the corner of my fridge. This makes it just as easy as my old-faithful friend Biquick.

Without further ado…

[amd-zlrecipe-recipe:4]

Like this recipe? Be sure to sign up for our weekly email updates or follow us on Facebook and never miss a delicious and healthy recipe from Thriving Home.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...Pin It

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Carla January 20, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Ok ladies, what can I use in place of vegetable/canola oil? I don’t keep the veg/can oil on hand anymore because I don’t use it enough and it seems to be the least desirable of all the oils.

I substituted butter in the pumpkin chocolate chip muffins yesterday and they turned out good. I’ve substituted coconut oil in homemade muffins, etc. and it has worked fine, but when I used it in a store bought cake mix (which I never buy, but a friend had brought one over to make a cake), I didn’t really like the texture. So, I’m not sure if coconut oil would work in this recipe.

Any thoughts?

Rachel January 20, 2012 at 5:28 pm

I’m trying it out for lunch today with coconut oil. I’ll let you know how it goes!

Rachel January 20, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Carla, I tried out using coconut oil in place of vegetable oil. My pancakes tasted really good. I think the coconut oil, if melted first before adding to the mix, works great. You might notice that when you add the milk and eggs to the mix, there will be a few small clumps of coconut oil in the batter (that coagulates when it cools). This doesn’t matter once you cook them because it melts into the pancake.

In other Oatmeal Pancake news:
    - I added a bit of pureed pumpkin, subbed a 1/2 cup of almond meal for some of the flour, and subbed a 1/2 cup of ground flaxseed for some of the oats. Worked fine.
    - Like Polly said, I think it’s better to grind your oats first. Makes for a smoother texture.
    - We topped ours with butter, applesauce, and cinnamon. Tasted like Apple Cake!

Thanks for another yummy, healthy recipe for our family, Polly!

Carla January 20, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Awesome. Thanks Rach. I don’t mind trying things out, but Kevin is the pancake maker in the family… and he does not handle disappointments as well as some of us who experiment in the kitchen often. :) Now if only you could make the Cinnamon Roll pancakes he made two weeks ago healthier. Those were sooooooo good!

Rachel January 21, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Hmm, healthy Cinnamon Roll pancakes. Now that would be a fun challenge!

Erika January 23, 2012 at 10:47 pm

I just made up the mix this afternoon. I am excited to try it out! My hubby is the pancake master and prefers using Bisquick with our girls. I’ll make it tomorrow morning for our family, and hopefully he’ll be sold on this new, healthier mix!! Thanks, ladies.