This post may contain affiliate or sponsored links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This delicious fluffy egg casserole with bacon is an easy make-ahead breakfast idea that is great for feeding a crowd or large family. It can be turned into a freezer meal and is a total crowd-pleaser. The bacon and egg casserole is SO easy too!
I recently inherited a huge box of recipe cards from my grandmother-in-law. I had so much fun going through the hundreds of recipes that she had accumulated over her lifetime. While I did end up tossing about 2/3rds of them (generations eat very differently from one to the next!), I did stumble on a few gems.
About this Egg & Bacon Casserole
When I saw this egg casserole with bacon recipe, I was so excited. I knew it would be easy and delicious which is totally our jam here at Thriving Home. Not only that, but pulling from 10+ years of freezer cooking experience, I knew this one would work great as a make-ahead freezer meal.
This recipe reminds me a lot of our Oven Omelet but with the addition of a baking mix. It’s fluffier and more kid-friendly (in my opinion).
Ingredients for Egg Casserole with Bacon Recipe
The ingredients are super simple. You likely have them in your pantry!
- Bacon, cooked and crumbled – I prefer to use uncured bacon.
- Yellow onion
- Red pepper
- Baking mix (I used Bisquick)
- Salt & pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese (Can you freeze cheese?)
How to Make Egg Casserole with Bacon
Step 1: Cook the Bacon
First step to this recipe is to cook your bacon. While I do love to use my oven to cook bacon, you will need to do this one on the stovetop. You’ll want it nice and crispy too!
You could also sub the cooked bacon for cooked sausage!
Step 2: Sauté the Veggies
I wish this step was optional or could be skipped but you’d end up with raw veggies in your casserole. No one wants to bite into a raw onion in the morning right? But here’s the fun part: You are going to sauté the veggies in that bacon grease!
This is going to add SO much flavor. You will likely need to drain off some of the grease before adding your diced veggies or else you’ll have a very greasy mess on your hands.
Step 3: Combine all the Ingredients & Bake
Now the fun part! Add all of the ingredients to a large mixing bowl and stir together until just combined.
You’ll then pour these ingredients into a greased baking dish and bake it. Your house will be smelling amazing in about 30 minutes!
Make the Egg Casserole a Freezer Meal
We are big fans of freezer meals. In fact, we’ve worked hard to create valuable freezer meal resources for you–including two cookbooks, a library of 1 Hour Freezer Prep, and an index of tried and true freezer meal recipes.
To Freeze Egg Casserole with Bacon For Later:
Put together the casserole either in an 8×8 inch casserole dish, but don’t bake it. Tightly wrap the dish in a few layers of plastic wrap or foil (or a tight-fitting lid) and freeze.
To Prepare From Frozen:
Thaw completely using one of these safe methods. Bake according to instructions.
What to Serve with Egg Casseroles with Bacon
Here are some ideas on what to serve with this yummy casserole:
- Green Machine Smoothie or Chocolate Covered Cherry Smoothie
- Fresh fruit or Classic Fruit Salad
- Vanilla Yogurt with Simple Homemade Granola
Did you make this? Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram at @thrivinghome so we can see your creations and cheer you on!
- 1 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red pepper
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup baking mix (I used Bisquick)
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt,
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon until crisp. Set aside and crumble it up once it has cooled.
- Wipe out most of the bacon grease but use a tad of the remaining grease to saute the diced onion and bell pepper until they begin to soften.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all of the ingredients, and stir until well combined.
- Pour mix into a greased 9×13 baking dish.
- Bake at 375 for about 35 minutes uncovered until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Freezer Meal Instructions:
To Freeze: Follow all of the directions right up until baking. Cover and freeze.
To Prepare: Let thaw in refrigerator 24 hours and then bake at 375 for about 35 minutes uncovered.