Skip the canned junk and make this delicious and nutritious pasta dish for your family instead.
- 8 cups (or 2 cartons) organic chicken broth
- 1 28 ounce can organic tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 large carrot, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 ounces of whole wheat pasta, like rotini, elbows or broken up lasagna noodles
- Place all ingredients EXCEPT pasta in large pot. Simmer and stir occasionally on the stove top for 10 minutes, or until carrots and onions are softened.
- Using an immersion blender or carefully spooning mixture into blender, blend sauce until smooth. Note: Be sure to fit lid tightly and hold down with a kitchen towel, if using an upright blender.) Return sauce to the pot.
- Bring sauce up to a simmer again. Add in pasta. Simmer and stir occasionally until pasta is tender, usually about 8-10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve warm in a bowl with shredded Parmesan or mozzarella on top.