Skip the canned junk and make this delicious and nutritious pasta dish for your family instead. So much sneaky nutrition in this one-pot wonder!
- 8 cups (or 2 cartons) organic chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can organic tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 ounces of whole wheat pasta, like rotini, elbows or broken up lasagna noodles
- Optional: shredded Parmesan cheese or mozzarella cheese
- Stir together all ingredients EXCEPT the pasta in a large pot. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer, stirring occasionally for 10-15 minutes, or until carrots and onions are softened and sauce has reduced some. Remove the bay leaf.
- Using an immersion blender or carefully spooning mixture into blender, blend sauce until smooth. Note: Be sure to fit lid tightly and hold down with a kitchen towel, if using an upright blender.) Return sauce to the pot. Taste and season and add more salt and pepper, as needed.
- Bring sauce up to a simmer again. Stir in the pasta. Simmer and stir occasionally until pasta is tender, usually about 8-10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning again.
- Serve warm in a bowl with shredded Parmesan or mozzarella on top.