As you may have gleaned by now, my family loves a good breakfast and I love sneaking veggies in my kids’ meals any way I can. Here’s a recipe that accomplishes both. When you use the blender to combine the eggs, milk, and sweet potato mixture, no one will ever know that it’s different than normal french toast. Sweet potato is not only incredibly good for you (see the chart below), it actually lends a natural sweetness to the batter.
Photo Credit: www.whfoods.com
This Sweet Potato French Toast recipe also uses up any leftover or stale bread. The picture above was leftover sourdough bread we had from a local bakery with our dinner the night before. Oftentimes, I use up old heels of our whole wheat bread that I’ve thrown in the freezer for just this purpose.
One last thing: if you want to prepare some healthy french toast in advance to bake at a later time, give my Blueberry Pumpkin Baked French Toast a try. It’s so simple (no slaving over the stove) and my kids could eat it for every meal of the day, I think. Check out more healthy, kid-friendly breakfast ideas in my post Healthy Breakfast Ideas (That Might Help You Lose Weight).
Whip up a bit of fall into your french toast batter and enjoy some extra nutrition at the same time with this recipe. A family favorite in our house!
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup baked sweet potato, mashed (about 1/2 of large sweet potato)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla
- a pinch of salt
- 8 bread slices (stale is fine)
- Serving suggestion: butter and real maple syrup
- Preheat a large pan or griddle over medium low heat.
- Whisk egg, milk, sweet potato, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt in a shallow dish.
- Grease the pan (I prefer organic butter or coconut oil). When a few water drips sizzle in the pan, it is hot enough to begin.
- Dip bread slices one at a time in the batter, turning them over to get them completely soaked. Give them a minute to really soak in the goodness!
- Cook the battered bread slices for about 2 minutes on each side. The french toast is done when both sides are golden brown and there is no more visible raw egg.
- Serve with butter and real maple syrup.