This easy method for baked mac and cheese is sure to be a family favorite. Plus you will love being able to double it and throw a batch in the freezer for an easy weeknight meal.
- 1 pound whole wheat macaroni noodles
- olive oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (optional but tasteless!)
- 3 cups milk (I used 2%)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley (crush in hand)
- pinch of nutmeg
- 4 cups shredded cheddar or colby jack cheese
- 1–2 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs (or almond meal)
- Cook the macaroni in a large pot until al dente, according to directions. Drain pasta, toss with a little olive oil in the pot, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, pumpkin, milk, salt, pepper, ground mustard, parsley, and nutmeg until combined. Pour mixture over the macaroni noodles and stir gently until combined.
- Add in the shredded cheese a handful at a time, stirring to combine as you go. It won’t melt completely.
- Pour the mac mixture into the baking dish. Top with bread crumbs and spray the cooking spray over the top of the casserole.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until bubbly around the edges and starting to brown on top.
Freezer Meal Instructions:
Complete the recipe through Step 5. Let cool. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and/or foil. Freeze.
Let casserole thaw in the refrigerator overnight and bake according to instructions. If it’s still a bit frozen in the middle, bake longer until heated through. Cover with foil if it starts to brown on top too much.