These are hands down my kids’ favorite waffles, aside from the very similar Double Chocolate Zucchini Waffles. We not only eat them for breakfast but often as snacks by themselves.
One of the things I love about this Pumpkin Chocolate Waffle recipe, as well, is that they are 100% whole wheat but you absolutely cannot tell. They are also a sneaky way to get more vegetables in your kids.
I will make the bold claim right now that you should double the batch and freeze some of them in a freezer bag for later. In fact, if you trust me, I included Freezer Meal instructions in the recipe (because you know how much I love freezer meal cooking).
Lastly, make it a game for your little ones to fill the waffles with fruit. I’d like to say this was my two year old’s idea…but it was actually my husband’s waffle.Print
These pumpkin chocolate waffles are made with whole wheat flour and lots of sneaky nutrition. They’re soon to become your next family favorite. Freeze a batch to pull out for a weekday breakfast.
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat or spelt flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted (butter will work)
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup pureed canned pumpkin
- Optional: 1 cup dark chocolate chips (for especially decadent waffles!)
- Mix dry ingredients (first six ingredients, through cocoa powder) in large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together brown sugar, melted coconut oil, eggs, milk, vanilla, pureed pumpkin.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until just combined (do not over mix). (Optional: Stir in chocolate chips.)
- Cook according to waffle iron instructions. Mine takes about 3 1/2 minutes for each batch.
Freezer Meal Instructions:
Place cooked and cooled waffles into a freezer bag with sheets of waxed paper separating the layers.
When ready to eat, stick frozen waffles in the toaster on the defrost setting, and you’ve got a fast, healthy breakfast.