Use any combination of vegetables in your fridge and pantry to make this hearty, delicious vegetable soup. Whip up a big batch and your family will eat on this all week long.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium or large onion, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes, juice and all
- 12 cups chicken broth (three 32 oz boxes of broth)
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning blend
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1–2 cups fresh green beans, destemmed and chopped
- 3–4 medium yukon gold potatoes, diced (do not peel)
- 1–2 cups frozen corn
- 1–2 cups frozen peas
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium to medium-high heat.
- Add onions and season lightly with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Saute until softened. Add garlic and sauté for another minute. Add bay leaf, tomatoes, chicken broth, Italian seasoning blend and bring to a boil.
- Add all vegetables EXCEPT the peas. Reduce to a simmer (a low bubble). Season lightly with a bit more salt and pepper, but don’t go overboard since you can adjust the seasoning at the end. Cook and stir occasionally for 10-15 minutes, until the potatoes and carrots are tender (check by piercing with a fork).
- Stir in the frozen peas, until they are warmed through.
- Remove bay leaf. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Serving suggestion:
- Top with fresh Parmesan cheese and serve with a good loaf of crusty bread.
Freezer Meal Instructions:
Prepare soup as directed. If you do not plan on eating any of it on the day you prepare it, do not add the frozen peas. Let soup cool completely. Place in freezer safe bags or containers. Store for up to 3 months.
Let soup thaw in refrigerator overnight. Warm on low on stovetop. You may need to add a little more water or broth as the vegetables tend to soak up the liquid once frozen.