Whole Wheat Buttermilk Biscuits are the perfectly fluffy flavor additions to any meal. Easy freezer meal!
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour (it’s very important to use WHITE whole wheat flour)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) cold butter, cut into small chunks
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 475°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Using a pastry cutter or fork, cut in the cold butter until it’s the size of rice. Stir in the buttermilk until dough forms. Do not overmix the dough or it will become tough.
- Sprinkle flour on a clean surface. Dump dough onto the surface and knead a few times. Sprinkle a little more flour on top of the dough and roll out until 1/2 inch thick. Use a biscuit cutter or glass to cut out biscuits.
- Place on the sheet pan and bake for 10-11 minutes. They will not brown on top, but the bottom will be lightly browned. Serve warm with butter and honey or jam.
Freezer Meal Instructions:
To Freeze: Dust the cut-out biscuits with a little flour, place on sheet pan and flash freeze for about 2 hours until frozen solid. Toss biscuits into a gallon-size freezer bag, seal, and freeze.
To Prepare from Frozen: Set biscuits on a parchment or foil lined pan and thaw in the fridge or on the counter (if baking immediately). Bake according to directions.