These Whole Wheat Chocolate Banana Muffins are packed full of nutrition and flavor. Feel good about feeding your family these for a quick breakfast!
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (I prefer white whole wheat)
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed (or sub flour) Why eat flaxseed?
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup sugar (I like coconut sugar, since it has more nutrients.)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin or pureed sweet potato
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup honey
- 5 tablespoons coconut oil, melted (Sub: butter or avocado oil)
Make It Now:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, ground flax, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- In medium-sized bowl, stir together the mashed bananas, pumpkin or sweet potato puree, yogurt, eggs, vanilla, honey, and oil until combined.
- Add the wet mixture to dry ingredients. Stir just until mixed. Do not over mix.
- Pour batter into greased muffin tins or silicone liners.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, until a wooden toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let the muffins cool on wire rack.
Freeze For Later: Bake muffins as stated in directions. Place muffins on cookie sheet lined with waxed (or parchment) paper. Flash freeze the muffins long enough to harden them up. Once frozen, transfer them to freezer safe bag or container. Store up to 3 months.
Prepare From Frozen: Let them thaw at room temperature or in the refrigerator. You can also stick them in the microwave for a brief time to warm them up.