These Whole Wheat Chocolate Banana Muffins are packed full of nutrition and flavor. Feel good about feeding your family these for a quick breakfast!
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (I prefer white whole wheat)
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed (or sub almond meal or wheat germ) Why eat flaxseed?
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup organic unrefined sugar (also called sucanat)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup smashed ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin or pureed sweet potato
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup honey
- 5 tablespoons coconut oil, melted (or butter)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the first 7 ingredients (flour through ground cinnamon).
- In another medium-sized bowl, whisk together the next 7 ingredients (bananas through melted coconut oil) until combined.
- Add wet mixture to dry ingredients; stir or whisk just until mixed. Do not over mix.
- Pour batter into greased muffin tins.
- Bake at 350° for about 15 minutes until a wooden pick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool muffins on wire rack.
Freezer Meal Instructions:
Bake muffins as stated in directions. Place muffins on cookie sheet lined with waxed (or parchment) paper. Flash freeze the muffins long enough to harden them up. Once frozen, transfer them to freezer safe bag or container. Store up to 3 months.
Take muffins out and let them thaw at room temperature or in the refrigerator. You can also stick them in the microwave for a brief time to warm them up.