Freezer meal prep with friends! Use this step by step guide to plan and host a freezer cooking party. Freezer meal experts share tips & tricks!
“Wait. What’s a freezer meal party?” you may be asking.
Well friend, glad you asked. We’re pretty excited to tell you more about the concept of a one-time Freezer Meal Party. It has been a huge help to our families and we are pretty convinced it would be a great help to you, no matter your stage in life.
Because let’s face, it. It is HARD to make home cooked meals every night. Kids are crabby. Parents are tired. And when convenience food is so… convenient, it’s tempting to go that route.
Enter, freezer cooking parties
What is a Freezer Meal Party?
So you might be wondering, what exactly IS a freezer meal party?
A freezer meal party is when a group of friends come together to prepare, cook and package freezer-friendly meals for their homes and families. With multiple recipes made in bulk, participants all go home with a variety of freezer meals that they can use for months to come.
Benefits of a Freezer Meal Party
There are many unexpected benefits that come from hosting a freezer meal party. The benefits that come from working as a collective are invaluable.
- It’s an excuse to spend an evening with friends. It’s a great excuse to catch up with much-loved friends AND make meals for my family. I can’t think anything I’d rather multitask doing.
- Variety. When cooking 6 different recipes with friends who all have different tastes and preferences, it is inevitable that I’m going to go home with recipes I normally wouldn’t try.
- Learn from each other. When you cook with other people, you will inevitably learn something new. Everyone brings a different set of skills and experience to the table and when you team up to make a recipe, tips and tricks are passed on.
- Save money. Buy in bulk, baby. It is usually cheaper to buy most ingredients in bulk than it is to buy them in smaller quantities. This is especially true for meat. In the long run, we all saved some money by buying ingredients in large quantities and then split up.
- Save Time. If I were to make these meals at home by myself the cooking time and clean up would be much longer than the 1.5-2 hour freezer party. Plus, think of all the time this saves on all those little grocery store runs throughout the week. Having freezer meals really will save me loads of time in the long run.
How do I throw a freezer meal party?
We are so glad you asked! We will walk you through how to make freezer meals with friends below.
1 . ESTABLISH A DATE AND LOCATION
Establishing a Date: Weekends tend to work well, as they don’t interfere with work schedules. Another option is a weeknight. A freezer party lasts around 1.5-2 hours so plan accordingly!
Establishing a Location: You will need a somewhat large space to hold the party. A kitchen with lots of counter tops, a large island, or other options for people to assemble their meals is necessary.
2. INVITE PARTICIPANTS
Brainstorm up to 6 people who would enjoy a party like this, as well as benefit from a stash of freezer meals. You can have more or less but we’ve found that 6 seems to be the ideal number.
3. PICK WHICH RECIPES YOUR GROUP WILL MAKE
Now it’s time to decide what you will be making at the party.
I’ve found it works best if you delegate a recipe to each participant. They are responsible for bringing all of the ingredients and utensils necessary to assemble that meal.
We recommend recipes that require little to no pre-cooking.
Here are some recipes that would work great for a freezer meal prep party:
- Baked Tortellini
- BBQ Drumsticks
- Blueberry French Toast Casserole
- Turkey Pesto Paninis
- Taco Bar (You’ll need to cook the meat at the party)
- Oven Baked Chicken Tenders
- Cheesy Chive Burgers
- Honey Dijon Chicken Sandwiches
- Ham & Cheese Sliders (You’ll need to make the sauce at the party)
- Cuban Paninis
- Italian Baked Chicken Thighs
- French Dip Sandwiches
- Honey Bourbon Chicken
You can also get some great recipes ideas by searching through our 70+ Freezer Meals.
1. SET UP WORK STATIONS
Think through which station should be where in the kitchen. Does someone need to use the stove? Be close to the sink? Have an idea of where each person will be before they arrive.
Lay out any snacks or drinks your group might like munching on while they assemble their meals. Not necessary but makes it feel more like a “party” if you have snacks and drinks.
Remind people to bring:
- Ingredients (x6) for the recipe they are in charge of
- A cooler to transport meals home in
- Tools and utensils they will need to assemble their recipe
- Freezer bags (if you aren’t providing)
2. GET TO WORK AND HAVE FUN
For the majority of the party, you’ll cook and chat and laugh. At least we did.
I’ve found it to be most efficient if one person makes all 6 meals at once. So for example, if I were to be in charge of Italian Baked Meatballs, I would make all 6 batches of them, bag them up, and lable them.
Some recipes will come together faster than others. Once someone is done with their recipe, they can jump in and help someone else if they need extra hands.
BAG UP YOUR MEALS, LABEL and FREEZE
When a meal is completed, place it in the freezer container as instructed in the recipe.
As the night goes on, your collection of meals will start piling up! Be sure to store them in the fridge, freezer, or your coolers as they are completed.
If You Like the Idea of Meal Prepping, You’ll Love our 1 Hour Freezer Prep Sessions!
We give you everything you need (and more) to make 6 freezer meals in 1 Hour!
A Prep Session is a 13+ page digital download to use directly on your mobile device or to print out and includes:
- Step-by-step instructions. Efficient and easy to follow.
- A 1 page, organized grocery list.
- Customized, pre-filled freezer meal labels ready to print and attach to your meals.
- Amazing, well-tested recipes.
- Full nutritional information.
- Gluten-free and dairy-free substitutions for most recipes.
- Serving and “Mix It Up” ideas for every recipe.
- Access to our private “Freezer Foodies” Facebook group.
- A free “Cook Along with Us” video tutorial for every prep session.
- Freezer Cooking Quick Start Guide (9 page ebook with our best tips!)