- 1 to 2 tablespoons avocado or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- Three 15-ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 to 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Salt and pepper
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
Make It Now:
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Once it’s shimmery, add in the onions and cook until they are soft, about 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook another 30-60 seconds.
- Whisk in the chicken broth, picking up any brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Cook until the liquid reduces by half, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the crushed tomatoes, dried oregano, fresh basil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. You may want to put on the lid and open it a crack to prevent splatters.
- Taste and season with more salt and pepper to your preference. You can also use an immersion blender at this point, if you want a smoother sauce. (Freezing instructions begin here.)
Freeze For Later: Cook sauce as directed. Let cool completely. Once cooled, pour into mason jars (leave 1 inch of head space at the top) or Souper Cubes. Store for up to 3 months in the freezer.
Prepare From Frozen: Thaw sauce in refrigerator overnight or using the defrost setting on the microwave. Warm over low heat on the stovetop or in the microwave.