This Instant Pot Whole Wheat Mac and Cheese recipe takes just 18 minutes from start to finish, dirties only one pot, and tastes creamy and delicious! Plus, it’s made with all real food ingredients.
It was 5:30 p.m. and my kids were starving. I was finishing up a work project and hadn’t even given dinner a thought when I began hearing the low-grade whines from the next room. “I’m hunnngrrrreeee!”
The Instant Pot to the rescue. I happened to have some whole wheat pasta in the pantry, along with the other few ingredients in this recipe. Within 2 minutes I had dumped everything in and locked the lid. It took about 10 minutes to come to pressure, 2 minutes to cook, and another 2 minutes to release the pressure. I ended by stirring in the milk and cheese for another 2 minutes. Voila! An 18 minute recipe from start to finish!!!
This Instant Pot Whole Wheat Mac and Cheese is a perfect, no fuss weeknight meal and makes enough to serve an army. Serve it with some steamed broccoli and apple slices, and you’re golden.
This Mac and Cheese recipe takes just minutes to pull together, dirties only one pot, and tastes creamy and delicious!
- 1 pound whole wheat elbow pasta
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup half and half
- 3-4 cups shredded Colby Jack or Cheddar cheese (or your favorite shredded kind)
- Add pasta, butter, mustard, salt, pepper, and water to the pot and stir.
- Lock and seal the lid. Cook at high pressure for half the pasta cooking time on the package, minus 1 minute. (So, if the directions say 6 minutes: Half is 3 minutes, minus 1 minute, means you’ll cook it for 2 minutes total.)
- Use a quick release of the pressure when cooking time is through. Be sure to cover the spout with a dish towel to minimize splatters.
- Stir in the milk and half and half. Then, slowly stir in the cheese 1 handful at a time. Taste and adjust salt and pepper amounts, if needed. Enjoy!