This Mac and Cheese recipe takes just minutes to pull together, dirties only one pot, and tastes creamy and delicious!
- 1 pound whole wheat elbow pasta
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup half and half
- 3–4 cups shredded Colby Jack or Cheddar cheese (or Gruyere for something fancier!) (Here’s how to shred your own cheese.)
- Add pasta, butter, mustard, salt, pepper, and water to the pot and stir.
- Lock and seal the lid. Cook at high pressure for half the pasta cooking time on the package, minus 1 minute. (So, if the directions say 6 minutes: Half is 3 minutes, minus 1 minute, means you’ll cook it for 2 minutes total.)
- Use a quick release of the pressure when cooking time is through. Be sure to cover the spout with a dish towel to minimize splatters.
- Stir in the milk and half and half. Then, slowly stir in the cheese 1 handful at a time. Taste and adjust salt and pepper amounts, if needed. Enjoy!
- If you shred your own block of cheese, it will melt more evenly than the pre-shredded kind from the store. Here’s how to shred your own cheese.