(Looking for healthy freezer meal recipes? We have 70+ of our favorites HERE!)
Whenever I make my Roasted Whole Chicken and Vegetables (one my very favorite recipes), I sometimes have chicken leftover. So, I throw it in the freezer, along with leftover chicken from Crispy Baked Drumsticks (an oldie but a goodie) or Lemon-Garlic Chicken. When I’ve got a few cups of cooked chicken in the freezer, I’m ready to make this delicious Chicken Parmesan Casserole.
My family loves this simple recipe, because it’s an old family favorite in a comfort-food form. I bet you have most of these ingredients on hand: tomato sauce, shredded mozzarella cheese, panko or whole wheat bread crumbs, and maybe a few fresh herbs. That’s it. You can eat it by itself or serve it over pasta. It might be nice over a bed of rice, too.
Look at these simple steps. Anyone can do this! Note: The recipe is for an 8×8 pan and the pictures below are in a 9×13. I did have to double the recipe to do this.
The easy-to-print Chicken Parmesan Casserole recipe is below, but I wanted to mention that, as with so many of our freezer-friendly recipes, this Chicken Parmesan Casserole freezes wonderfully. Freezer meal directions are included at the bottom of the recipe. So be sure to make two and freeze one of them!
What kind of containers do you store freezer meals in?*
(*Affiliate links included.)
We highly recommend using a BPA-free container or dish. While it may be easier to buy the disposable Glad ovenware containers, it really makes sense to stock up on some quality, safe dishes that you can bake AND store in. After searching long and hard, I highly recommend using these containers from MightyNest.
A few reasons I like these:
- Glass is a natural, non-porous material.
- Glass cookware doubles as food storageware.
- Glass is easy to clean and dishwasher safe.
- The clear lid allows easy visibility to your food.
- Because they are oven and microwave proof, you can cook, heat, and store your food all in one dish.
- Flat top allows for easy stacking.
- They are VERY affordable.
Swing by MightyNest and check these out!
- 4 cups (about 1.5 pounds) fully-cooked chicken, shredded or cubed
- 1 jar (28 ounces) of marinara sauce
- ½ cup shredded or grated Parmesan cheese
- 1½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup panko or whole wheat bread crumbs (Here is how to make your own)
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- fresh, chopped herbs (parsley, basil, oregano, etc), to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease an 8x8 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Layer the chicken in the bottom. Dump in the marinara sauce and mix with the chicken. Next, top with both cheeses until all the chicken is covered.
- In a small bowl, mix the breadcrumbs, olive oil, fresh herbs and a dash of salt and pepper together.
- Sprinkle the seasoned breadcrumbs over the top.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until golden on top and bubbling on the sides.
To Freeze: Put casserole together and freeze it before baking.
To Prepare: Let it thaw in the fridge over night. If it's still slightly frozen in the middle, you'll just have to cook it longer than the recipe calls for or defrost it a bit in the microwave before baking. Cover it with foil if the top gets too brown in the oven.