Talk about simple, delicious, and yet another great way to use up veggies in your fridge or garden. This was a well-rounded, light-tasting dinner that required little work on my part. In fact, I just finished making 48 more servings for my freezer club this afternoon. You can read all about my Freezer Club here and how to start your own.
Click HERE for 70+ more healthy freezer meals and tips for preparing and freezing meals. I’ve been cooking this way for years now and love how it saves time and money!Print
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley, crushed in your palm
- 2 medium red potatoes, diced
- 1 small sweet potato, diced
- 3 large carrots, sliced
- 1.5 pounds chicken breasts (about 2 1/2 chicken breasts)
- In a large bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, and parsley. Add the potatoes, sweet potatoes, and carrots to marinade and toss to coat. Using a slotted spoon (or your hands), remove and place on bottom of a greased 8×8 or 9×9 baking dish. Cover and put in fridge until chicken is done marinating (see next step).
- Pour remaining marinade in a zip-top bag with chicken. Seal and shake bag to coat chicken pieces. Place in a bowl in the fridge to marinate (anywhere from 15 minutes to several hours).
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees (update: originally this recipe called for 450 degrees, but I lowered it after another test) when chicken is close to being done marinading.
- Place the chicken on top of the veggies in the baking dish. Pour any of the remaining olive-oil mixture over the chicken.
- Roast for 30-40 minutes uncovered (until chicken is no longer pink). Note: You may have to remove the chicken from the dish or skillet and place the veggies back in oven for 5-10 minutes more or until the potatoes are tender. Serve warm.
– Try to dice/slice all veggies about the same size. You’ll want fairly large diced pieces.
– Use whatever combination of vegetables you’d like. These were what I had on hand. Zucchini or squash might be good. Original recipe only called for red potatoes and green beans.
Freezer Meal Directions:
To prepare, place vegetables, chicken, and marinade in a large freezer zip-top bag and freeze. When ready to cook, thaw in the fridge overnight, pour into a greased 8×8 casserole dish, and bake according to directions.