This post may contain affiliate or sponsored links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Three cheers for the slow cooker! I love this set it and forget it Slow Cooker Steak Chili because I don’t have to do anything but dump it in, set the timer, and walk away. Seriously. Several hours later I’ve got a hearty and comforting family meal.
Just a few minutes of prep work results in an all-day, slow-cooked Tex Mex flavor! Wouldn’t this be a fun tailgate recipe in the fall?
Note: The heat level is fairly mild, so be sure to kick up the red pepper flakes if you like it hot.
Did you make this? Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram at @thrivinghome so we can see your creations and cheer you on!
- 1½ pounds stew beef, cut in 2-inch chunks
- ½ medium onion, finely diced (or 1/2 cup frozen diced onions, to save time)
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, with juice (tip: use fire-roasted tomatoes for more flavor)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or more to add heat)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, plus more to taste
- Optional toppings: grated cheese*, sour cream or Greek yogurt*, diced avocados, a squeeze of lime, and/or fresh cilantro, crushed tortilla chips, hot sauce or salsa
*Omit if making a dairy-free version.
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
Make It Now:
- Place all ingredients, except the optional toppings, in the slow cooker. Gently stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours or HIGH for 4-5 hours, until beef shreds easily two forks.
- Shred the beef with two forks before serving, if desired. Taste and season with more salt and pepper, as needed. Add optional toppings of choice and serve warm.
Freeze For Later:
Option 1 (Uncooked): Add all ingredients, except the optional toppings, to a gallon-sized freezer bag or container. Seal and freeze.
Option 2 (Fully Cooked): Cook and completely cool the chili. Place in a freezer bag or container. Seal and freeze.
Prepare From Frozen:
Option 1 (Uncooked): Thaw completely using one of these safe thawing methods. Dump all the ingredients into the slow cooker. Follow Steps 2 and 3.
Option 2 (Fully Cooked): Thaw completely using one of these safe thawing methods. Warm in a pot on the stove over medium-low heat, until warmed through. Stir occasionally.