Need a great recipe to use up some fresh zucchini? Try this healthier version of zucchini muffins (or bread) that is filled with flaxseed, whole wheat flour, and coconut oil.
- 1 1/2 cups white flour
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (can sub vegetable oil if needed)
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 2 1/4 cups white sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 cup chopped walnuts why eat walnuts?
- Grease and flour two 8 x 4 inch pans or muffin tins. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Sift flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
- Beat eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar together in a large bowl.
- Add sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture, and beat well. Stir in zucchini and nuts until well combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 40 to 60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack for 20 minutes. Remove bread from pan, and completely cool. (Since I cooked mine in muffin tins, it only took 23 minutes.)
Freezer Meal Instructions:
Bake muffins or bread as directed in recipe. Allow to cool completely. Then place in freezer safe bag or container for up to 3 months.
Thaw in refrigerator or microwave before serving.